bending laminated wood and glue

So I've been involved in my first major woodworking project for a couple months now (in between work and life). Its a baby bed for our first born due any day now. Its coming along great so far. Theres been a few hicups here and there, but its looking good. Anyway.

I'm wanting to bend a band of wood over the back of the top edge of the bed. I'm going to resaw several strips of walnut before glueing them up and placing them in the form. The question I have is this: Whats the best glue to use? I'm going to need some working time. I know a guy who makes recurve bows and he uses a heat activated epoxy. I don't really want to mess with heat strips though.

Whats the best glue for bending laminated wood? Also. Right now my shop is pretty cold. Probably around 30 degrees or so now. Should I glue this up in the house?

thanks

Aaron

So I've been involved in my first major woodworking project for a couple months now (in between work and life). Its a baby bed for our first born due any day now. Its coming along great so far. Theres been a few hicups here and there, but its looking good. Anyway.

I'm wanting to bend a band of wood over the back of the top edge of the bed. I'm going to resaw several strips of walnut before glueing them up and placing them in the form. The question I have is this: Whats the best glue to use? I'm going to need some working time. I know a guy who makes recurve bows and he uses a heat activated epoxy. I don't really want to mess with heat strips though.

Whats the best glue for bending laminated wood? Also. Right now my shop is pretty cold. Probably around 30 degrees or so now. Should I glue this up in the house?

thanks

Aaron

Man!! You got 30 degrees we're minus something over here in Europe. Just about the best adhesive you can get for laminating is Unibond 800 not available here in Europe but you will have no problem in the States. It does need heating but it should be done with plenty of ventilation just watch for any fine dust particles otherwise it's as good as you'll get. Don't use white or yellow glue no matter what they tell you it can and does creep.

Pete

Polyurethane glue is an option. I know Paul Schurch used to recommend it. I'm NOT a fan of the stuff. It's nasty to work with, in my opinion. You can probably fine DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue locally. It is basically the same things as Unibond 800. Be sure to wear a dust mask when mixing it. It contains urea formalhyde, which is some nasty stuff. You will need to make a set of forms for the bending. The glue dries very ridgidly. Be careful when you are cleaning up the squeeze out. When it fractures, it is very sharp. I used my No. 80 cabinet scraper to clean up the edges of my last project before running it over the jointer.

Here are a couple photos to help you see what you are going to be doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30350434@N07/5122147896/in/set-72157625182276454/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30350434@N07/5126993598/in/set-72157625182276454/

Good luck and congrats on the upcoming arrival!

Though I'm not in the same league as the other two posters, I did have some success with polyurethane glue bending the bodies of my micro sleds.It's far less viscous than a normal PVA glue, so things can slip around as you clamp up. I did my glueing indoors, and I wouldn't suggest doing it below freezing. The polyurethane glue I used (Saratoga, don't know if it's available state-side) had an open time of about 15 minutes - which is not that much. Rather than brush the glue on the surface, I used a thin wood strip to spread it around. Use gloves, or the stains last a few weeks. Sticky fingers will also stain the other surfaces. The excess squeeze out foams up, but like the stains, scrapes away easily once cured.

HTH

John

Almost forgot - excellent reason for the project, all the best to the future parents!