Forum Exposure to Outside World

ShawnB

So, I'll toss out the first question. Didn't see anything on the first setup cause I generally don't read the "You agree to...". Typically it always says the same thing... you agree not to blah, blah, blah, ... we're not responsible for blah, blah, blah... standard language.

My question is... how much exposure to the outside internet world will this forum have? I get the links to Twitter and Facebook (cool, but probably won't use them as I use these for different purposes), but will the bots be allowed to index threads, blog posts, user information, etc?

Thanks

I was curious about this as well. are only Guildies going to have access to the Guild Forum?

Sac

At this point, the Guild area will be wide open. I just don't see any compelling reason for privacy here. But I can certainly be convinced if you guys think a password-protected room would be useful to our membership.

I think it will add to the 'value' of the Guild Marc. It will give the guys a feeling of being a part of something special. You could post your updates there.

All you need to do is setup a group for guildies. Identifying members might be a bit harder tho, as it's not connected to aMember. You'd have to do it by members email address and assume they've used the same one for the community.

I don't mind helping with that if you're busy.

I guess I'm just not convinced that it really adds any value. Even if we do have a protected area here, I won't be posting Guild content in it. I would prefer to keep that all locked behind the Guild site. But if enough Guild members tell me they think a protected room would be worthwhile, I would be happy to make it. I just can't think of what we would discuss in our secret clubhouse that couldn't be discussed publicly (which by the way is a nice advertisement for the Guild). :)

Now I wouldn't mind giving Guild members their own Group and a special tag next to their avatar. But without tying the databases together, I just don't see how I can keep the list updated. aMember actually does have a plugin that would share users with the forum. Problem is, it will bring ALL forum members into the aMember database since it doesn't simply add data, it synchs it. And furthermore, I am kind of tired of using plugins to tie in databases. Seems like every time I do that, things start to become less dependable, you know?

I personally think that posting publicly is fine - good advertising for the Guild, and more eyeballs on each question or discussion. But, I remember seeing someone post that the like the Guild because they are more comfortable posting questions in a smaller community. I figure, if it's not too much work, we may as well have a private space for Guild stuff.

I personally think that posting publicly is fine - good advertising for the Guild, and more eyeballs on each question or discussion. But, I remember seeing someone post that the like the Guild because they are more comfortable posting questions in a smaller community. I figure, if it's not too much work, we may as well have a private space for Guild stuff.

Well its easy enough to set up a password protected forum room here. I will just need to change the password periodically and post that password on the Guild site. Maybe I'll do what I usually do when I can't make up my mind: put it to a vote. :)

I agree with Vic. I also think it might be beneficial to include Gild events on this site's calendar so that the general public can get an idea of the events they could be enjoying as members.

I really wish I could find a way to import my Google calendar into the forum's calendar. That would sure make it a lot easier.

I think it will add to the 'value' of the Guild Marc. It will give the guys a feeling of being a part of something special. You could post your updates there.

I'm mixed on the issue. As I understand it, the Guild area will really just be the video content now. Unless I'm missing something. The video content is certainly worth the membership. Kind of liked the idea of the Guild 'community', but seems that didn't work in the Guild forums. And, the Live sessions are tied directly into the projects (video content) now.

I get that there may be more value in having everybody in the same forum, creating more content to spread more benefit all around. I like the sound of a private Guild forum area, but it sounds like a lot of extra work to keep it synchronized. I've worked with aMember and manage several forums now where I do a lot of email address searching to tie members into private areas. It's not fun and definitely not perfect.

If put to a vote, I'd vote for a private Guild area where we'd have to sign in with a common password found in the Guild membership area. I can't see expending a lot of effort trying to manage separate member groups in the forums.

I'm mixed on the issue. As I understand it, the Guild area will really just be the video content now. Unless I'm missing something. The video content is certainly worth the membership. Kind of liked the idea of the Guild 'community', but seems that didn't work in the Guild forums. And, the Live sessions are tied directly into the projects (video content) now.

Of course, there are other benefits to the Guild Membership, re: vendor discounts... "I'm just sayin" ;)

At this point, the Guild area will be wide open. I just don't see any compelling reason for privacy here. But I can certainly be convinced if you guys think a password-protected room would be useful to our membership.

So, Marc. Did you decide to make the Guild forum private or just remove it altogether? I notice its not on the list anymore.