Hammer jointer/ planer

Dustin Cookson

Anybody out there with one with some feedback on then?  Im looking at getting either the jointer/ planer or the combination machine. Space is tight now that i have a car parked in the two car garage i use as my shop?  Just looking to see how well they really perform in the real world.  For the jointer/ planer im looking at tge 16" with the silent power cutter head.  They look like nice machines but every company can make even a crapy machine look good online.  Anyfeed back woukd be great.

Thanks

Dustin Cookson

Someone did a great video review in the review section. You should search for it. 

I almost purchased a used AD41 stand alone planer, but i never bought it because the price is so similar for the stand a lone machine as it is for the combo unit. My negotiation was tied to the retail price, and the whole experience left me wondering who would ever purchase a stand alone planer or jointer from Hammer/Felder. 

With your budget, you could do well on the used market for stand alone machines, just saying. I have a 12" jointer and 20" byrd planer that i purchased with close to the same budget. 

16 hours ago, Dustin Cookson said:

Thanks I'll do a search for it. Its space that is driving my need for a change. I already have a 20" planer. I just dont have that much more room for a jointer.  

Understood, you have the only argument for choosing a combo machine. They are big space savers, no doubt about that. Ive said it before, but if i ever have to retreat from my 1000ish sqft basement shop to the one car garage, im buying a slider, shaper, mortiser,  and jointer/planer combo machine. 

You consider buying and shipping?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/tls/6025842716.html

Hes in Fresno. To be frank, my California geography is limited to San Diego and San Francisco, and i have absolutely no idea where Paso Robles is..

4 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Understood, you have the only argument for choosing a combo machine. They are big space savers, no doubt about that. Ive said it before, but if i ever have to retreat from my 1000ish sqft basement shop to the one car garage, im buying a slider, shaper, mortiser,  and jointer/planer combo machine. 

You consider buying and shipping?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/tls/6025842716.html

Hes in Fresno. To be frank, my California geography is limited to San Diego and San Francisco, and i have absolutely no idea where Paso Robles is..

He's not too far away from us in the armpit of California. I've been eyeballing that Felder unit but am not sure I can justify it right now.

Thats sure is tempting.  Its only 2hrs away.  It all looks so big though.  bandsaw looks awesome but huge.  Same with the saw and shaper.  I need to down size.  Wish my needs were different.  I really want the 16" width on the planer/jointer. I love my 20" planer, I'm already down sizing with the 16". If I do get a 12" its going to be in the combination Hammer 5in1.  I hate all the decisions I need to make.

For what you get thought it sure looks a great deal.