Any guitar guy's here?

Timberwerks

Along with woodworking I have a passion for playing and buying guitars. Soon I'd like to get involved with building acoustic guitars from scratch. Anyway, I'm a big Gibson fan, I came across this beauty yesterday, thought I'd share it with the other guitar guy's. To bad budget does not permit at this time. However if it was a Les Paul Custom with a Koa top I'd have to pull the trigger. http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6311/Gibson-Custom-Shop-CS-356-with-Stopbar-Koa-Top-Antique-Natural/

WOAH! what a beauty!!!

I have a Paduk Washburn N4 which I love for it's flexibility, and beautiful wood body, But nothing beats the warmth and full range of tone of a LP (which I also have).

Cool, I love the Nuno's. Did you see this Koa one? http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4239/Washburn-Custom-Shop-N4-Nuno-Bettencourt-Limited-Edition-Koa--Korina-19-of-100-Signed-by-Nuno/ I had a chance to visit to Washburn about 4 yr's ago, it was a great tour.

Cool, I love the Nuno's. Did you see this Koa one? http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4239/Washburn-Custom-Shop-N4-Nuno-Bettencourt-Limited-Edition-Koa--Korina-19-of-100-Signed-by-Nuno/ I had a chance to visit to Washburn about 4 yr's ago, it was a great tour.

That thins is remarkable. and FREE SHIPPING TOO! I really like their bodies, they feel very balanced out - holding-wise and look-wise. The first think I did with mine was having the body routed deeper for the whammy bar to pull backwards a tad bit more which gives en extra few notes to it.

That thins is remarkable. and FREE SHIPPING TOO! I really like their bodies, they feel very balanced out - holding-wise and look-wise. The first think I did with mine was having the body routed deeper for the whammy bar to pull backwards a tad bit more which gives en extra few notes to it.

Yes, the Nuno's are a nice design. They are kind of a mix of a Strat and a Jackson Soloist. I check Music Zoo every few days for new arrivals, they get some great stuff. I think they were the first dealer Gibson let post actual in stock guitars again. Not sure though.

Pretty much everything I do in life revolves around guitars. I don't think I have a family photo anywhere where I am without a guitar. I only got into woodworking so I could make my own guitars. I do a lot with electronics, making / modifying effects pedals and amps, etc.

Ironically I'm not a great player... :) I'm ok, I guess... but not as good as I'd like.

Pretty much everything I do in life revolves around guitars. I don't think I have a family photo anywhere where I am without a guitar. I only got into woodworking so I could make my own guitars. I do a lot with electronics, making / modifying effects pedals and amps, etc.

Ironically I'm not a great player... :) I'm ok, I guess... but not as good as I'd like.

oh good... I have an 80Watt Marshall that needs some attention, I think there are some loose contacts within the knobs. how complex is it to open that baby up to take a closer look (I guess I should just look for screws to open the console up...lol, but I don't remember seeing any)

oh good... I have an 80Watt Marshall that needs some attention, I think there are some loose contacts within the knobs. how complex is it to open that baby up to take a closer look (I guess I should just look for screws to open the console up...lol, but I don't remember seeing any)

Not difficult but potentially lethal, especially if its tube. :) Capacitors store enough juice to kill you if you aren't careful and properly drain them. The potentiometers themselves are usually cheap and easy to replace but I'd pop it open and hit them with a spray of some cleaner first... they could just be dirty. Use something designed for the task, like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Cleaners,_polishes,_lubricants/DeoxIT_Pot_and_Switch_Cleaner.html If you do need to replace the pots its easy but you could short things out or kill your amp if you aren't comfortable with a soldering iron.

Sometimes the screws that hold the corner protectors on also hold the amp chassis in place. Sometimes they are screwed in from the inside. Sometimes there is a baffle or bracket you have to remove on the back to get to the chassis screws.

I've recently gotten into the bass guitar. (Hey, four strings instead of six, it should be 33% easier to play, right?)

I have a Fender Squire P-Bass right now, but I am making plans to build my own solid-body through-neck bass. Still working with some online folks to get a plan and I should be able to to a build-along with it...

I've recently gotten into the bass guitar. (Hey, four strings instead of six, it should be 33% easier to play, right?)

When I was playing guitar a lot more than I do now, I used to think that. Then I realized that what actually happens is that four strings instead of six means you have to be 25% better on each bass string. ;)

Not difficult but potentially lethal, especially if its tube. :) Capacitors store enough juice to kill you if you aren't careful and properly drain them. The potentiometers themselves are usually cheap and easy to replace but I'd pop it open and hit them with a spray of some cleaner first... they could just be dirty. Use something designed for the task, like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Cleaners,_polishes,_lubricants/DeoxIT_Pot_and_Switch_Cleaner.html If you do need to replace the pots its easy but you could short things out or kill your amp if you aren't comfortable with a soldering iron.

Sometimes the screws that hold the corner protectors on also hold the amp chassis in place. Sometimes they are screwed in from the inside. Sometimes there is a baffle or bracket you have to remove on the back to get to the chassis screws.

Thanks! those are some good pointers about the screws and corners - that might be the thing I was missing.

When I was playing guitar a lot more than I do now, I used to think that. Then I realized that what actually happens is that four strings instead of six means you have to be 25% better on each bass string. ;)

I play on a 12 string, does this mean I'm twice as bad on each string???? Aww Man, I thought I was getting the hang of this yoke. :)

I have to protest, with a 4k budged you should NOT feed this evil machine called gibson, also not fender or prs.

Get one custom made, support a master luthier, you will get a product that's A LOT better,

than anything the mainstream manufacturers ever made, it will be unique, and yours.

Or maybe a used one?

http://www.guitargal.com/content/laurie-williams-guitar-usedtui-model

Show me a new gibson martin or taylor that sounds like that - you never find one.

Laurie's steel strings start normally at 7900, and laurie is not my kind of person,

but he makes great guitars, and a used one is just within your price range.

From a furniture standpoint that would sound a bit like this:

You can go to ikea and get something overpriced,

or you let mark build you something and get something worth it's money.

Badge whores - we all have one inside us, but that doesn't mean we can't fight the urge to get a gibson or fender. :D

Badge whores - we all have one inside us, but that doesn't mean we can't fight the urge to get a gibson or fender. :D

Thats why I have a few Agile Les Paul copies... same wood, just as good fit and finish, crappier pickups, but only a few hundred bucks... :) Of course I do own some Prestige series Ibanez guitars :P

I've had Lotus and Arbor Les Pauls that were very nice. I had some 80's Charvel's that were fantastic, wish I still had them. A friend of mine is a luthier who builds some great stuff: http://www.benfordguitars.com/ His shop is only a half mile away so I get to stop in and see some of the new stuff in the works. My favorite guitar at this time in an Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster, I love the scalloped neck huge frets and the pups.

Thats why I have a few Agile Les Paul copies... same wood, just as good fit and finish, crappier pickups, but only a few hundred bucks... :) Of course I do own some Prestige series Ibanez guitars :P

Excellent choice btw. Shove some hot vintage BKPs in there and it will sound more than excellent.

Those agiles are some pretty amazing guitars for what they cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sounds like most of you are electric. I am an acoustic and sold to Martin, so I own a Golden Era, an old 12 string and a DC16GTE that I use as and electric because I can plug it. Since I am an Argentinean hillbilly I embraced the new bluegrass and jamb bands and invested in an A style Collins mandolin.

Since I am doing more woodworking, my guit box time has gone to the tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last 3 years or so building and perfecting bass guitars. I started just building for myself but it took off a bit and I've been building ever since. I've been playing in bands for the past 7 years or so and I wanted something a little more unique and customized for myself. It's a very rewarding (and expensive) hobby/business.

If anyone is at all interested, you can go to www.WhitcombBasses.com to check out what I've built. Also, if you're interested in building guitars or basses, I'm more than willing to help a hand or point you in the right direction. Happy building!!

I'm a guitar guy but mine don't have anywhere to attach a cord, unless you count the one that goes around your neck. Here's a link to some photos of one: http://s107.photobuc...Nancy%20Wilson/

I think I'm going to finally put together the D-28 kit this Winter, it's been taking up space on a shelf for 3-4 years now...

Bill

I'm a guitar guy but mine don't have anywhere to attach a cord, unless you count the one that goes around your neck. Here's a link to some photos of one: http://s107.photobuc...Nancy%20Wilson/

I think I'm going to finally put together the D-28 kit this Winter, it's been taking up space on a shelf for 3-4 years now...

Bill

What kind of kit is it? There are basically 3 kinds - the ones you get at guitarcenter with body pre-assembled and the neck shaped - stewmac kits like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/5295_1lg.jpg

Or LMI kits which are basically a set of raw woods.

Why did you had it laying around for so long? :blink:

I used to practice the guitar when I was a kid, but never really took it to the next level. I still have it, but I can't play anymore. It's an Aria Pro II Magna.

Mind showing us pictures? Maybe a serial number? :D

I love those old 80's arias, can't get more guitar for what those cost. I also started with one,

payed not quite 100€ for it. Took me a long way that little guitar.

It's a aria pro 2 zz custom.

Before i post the picture - you should start again,

you maybe should look at justins beginner thingy,

it's free:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

guitar.jpg

I can't really take a good picture right now since it's evening, but here she is.

I got to choose a guitar for my 12th or 13th birthday and chose this 2nd hand Aria. I really liked it for it's narrow neck and has a nice sound to it. Great beginners guitar.

Now that I'm looking at it, it really needs a good cleaning, polishing and some new strings. (one is missing :P)

My mom plays acoustic for over 40 years, so she might be able to teach me. I bought a Behringer xenyx 802 about a year ago to hook up a Shure mic to my pc, but I can also connect my guitar to it... will be fun to experiment a bit. :)

I tried looking for a serial number, but can't find any.

post-1422-003618300 1285355453_thumb.jpg