Clean edges on mortises

Jon Ellwood

I'm new to woodworking (24 months or so) and do it as a hobby. 

I was looking for some feedback on getting clean lines when cutting mortises. Using a chisel I have a tough time keeping the edges from getting a little bent or chipped. Pretty much everything I have viewed or read says you cut the mortise after the piece after it is all milled. I was wondering if the mortise was cut before it was planed down to final thickness if this could help alleviate the slightly damaged edges. Say if I leave a 1/16th of an inch to plane down after the mortise is cut? I only have hand planes for thickness and smoothing - no planer (yet).

Thanks!

One of the mistakes I made was not using a knife/marking gauge to score the lines. That severs the fibers, which aids in removing chip/tear out. Next rookie mistake I was making was chiseling directly on that line. Big no no. What happens is there is nowhere for the wood to go, so it ends up damaging your lines (which will be your walls) as the chisel pushes backwards (because there is no path of least resistance). This happens in dovetails and mortises, principle is the same.

Are your chisels are sharp? Are you clearing out the bulk of the material inside of the mortise away from the edges?

29 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

What edges are you referring to as being bent or chipped?

I'm referring to the edges of the shoulders. I tend to squish them when chopping or don't quite get a good marking line all the way around. Clearly the best answer is to keep working on skills to do them the right way. lol.

Good advice from BP...the fact that it's moot on most mortises - unless they are through - kind of makes it a non-issue unless your mortises are so sloppy that it effects the fit of the tenon.

I wouldn't want to do any further milling post-joinery because that can throw off the fit, specifically the depth of the mortise and the mating tenon.  I do all of my joinery post-milling (and drum sander) so that the only material removed post-joinery is the microscopic amount that the smoothing plane or light sanding imposes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

score your lines deeply, so you have good registration for the paring cut or get a shoulder/rabbet plane.

Or just do them on the table saw in ten seconds and crack a beer. :D  M&T is one joint I'll never do by hand because you can't see the difference in a finished joint...it's not like dovetails where a hand sawn joint is visually different from a machine/jig made joint.  It just consumes time and adds no benefit to the end product IMO...unless you're a strictly hand tool only kind of guy, I'd consider using a different technique.

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Or just do them on the table saw in ten seconds and crack a beer. :D  M&T is one joint I'll never do by hand because you can't see the difference in a finished joint...it's not like dovetails where a hand sawn joint is visually different from a machine/jig made joint.  It just consumes time and adds no benefit to the end product IMO...unless you're a strictly hand tool only kind of guy, I'd consider using a different technique.

Well, this is the Hand Tool Village :). I agree with you when I'm building a piece of furniture, not enough difference to matter. But I do enjoy hand cutting a M&T in that pure hobby time, when I'm doing it for the joy of feeling the saw and chisel after a stressful day of work.

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

Well, this is the Hand Tool Village :)

Yeah...oops...missed that.  And chiseling a mortise clean and square is certainly an important skill to have in your pocket, because you'll inevitably need it at some point.  But for tenons...man it's hard for me to justify the time commitment to cut those by hand.  I find a smoothing plane much more relaxing than a saw...but that's me.

When hand-chopping mortises, I find that good layout and scoring lines are the best aid to getting crisp edges. After scoring the edges of the mortise, i'll run my chisel around the whole perimeter, chopping a nice deep line around the edge, to keep the whole thing clean. Also, if you are cutting a lot of fractional imperial mortises (1/2", 3/4"), it can be helpful to use a metric set of chisels, which are a hair thinner than their imperial equivalents, which gives you a little wiggle room at the edges, reducing your chance of denting the sides.

Ultimately, the shoulders of your tenon are typically going to cover any irregularity or chipping at the mortise itself, so clean edges are only important for your own satisfaction. I understand the joy of "doing it right" but just make sure you aren't losing sight of the end product.

That's great advice. It is for sure all about doing right even no one will probably ever see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, so you're talking about the tenon? Not the mortise? Let's make sure we're all on the same page here.

11WC-13-1_.jpg

So you are working on the shoulders of the tenon? Are you really chopping on those? Because off the saw all you should need is a little paring with a chisel, but the same thing applies, score your lines deeply, so you have good registration for the paring cut or get a shoulder/rabbet plane.

No I meant the edges of the mortise. Like the rim. I used the term "shoulder" incorrectly. The little chips and dents are usually completely hidden. But I know they are there. :)

I'm with Eric on this one....that's not a battle even worth thinking about.  That'll be totally hidden.  If you really want to get your knickers in a bunch, make a test mortise in a scrap board, and then rip it open on the table saw to expose the inside of the mortise for inspection.  Probably not something that would look overly pretty - it's there, sure, but it's a functional mortise and will not be seen.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. All good information! For a hobby that has quickly turned to an obsession/addiction I think the most exciting part the vast amount of knowledge and skills left to learn. And having a community such as his to share the journey with is just a very very cool thing. Thanks all.

• Like 1