what finish to use on ash

gary-g-k

hi iam building a desk out of ash, its booked matched panel sides and then all ash top and frame. and i was wondering what finish to use. iam not staining it and i wanted to use boiled linseed oil. will this be a good finish for ash? and will it be a strong enough for the top? will it need alot of maintance? just a few questions since i have never used it before.

Sure, you can use BLO. However, I get the feeling you are leaning toward something with more protection and less maintenance.:huh: ???

Ash has deep grain like oak and since this will be used as a desk, THIS IS MY PERSONAL TAKE...I would like to get a slight build of finish in pores of the Ash to seal off, as well as, on the surface of the wood for "desk" protection.

Arm-R-Seal is a tough finish, I would apply it, give it a few minuets to soak down into the pores and wipe it back. When dry repeat, and depended how the pores are looking. When dry, then comeback apply without wiping back maybe 2 or 3 coats.

-Ace-