have you(one of you) made a treadle lathe

gardnesd

If you do a search here, http://swingleydev.com/archive/index.php you should be able to come up with quite a bit of info. Myself, I prefer to just push a button. I tried a pole lathe one time, just couldnt get the hang of pumping my leg and getting smooth cuts with my lower body in motion like that.

Roger

Not sure of the distance for you, but head up to Colonial Williamsburg and check out the treadle in the Joiner's shop. There is a great wheel lathe in the Cabinetmakers shop too but unless you have an apprentice to turn it for you that won't help. You can walk right up to the treadle and take plenty of pictures. I doubt they will let you use it, but the guys will be happy to demonstrate it for you. This is a classic treadle design that Roy Underhill references in his books. In fact, he actually used the lathe they have in the Joiners shop. I'm thinking its about 8 hours from you but well worth a weekend trip.