embedding pics

Eric.

Thanks photobucket.  I've been dumping my pics into their servers for about five years now and have been using them to host ALL of my images on this forum and others.  Suddenly they decided that they want $400/year in order for me to use 3rd party hosting.  Nice business model.  So if you notice that I have exactly zero images in all of my showcase threads...that's why.

I'm working on a solution: I purchased 1TB of cloud storage from Amazon so I can use them to host all of my pics and store all of my music in case my hard drives go poof...again.

But I'm having trouble embedding the pic link from Amazon into the forum threads.  The link works...but it's a link, not an image.  Does anyone know what trickery I need to use to embed instead of link?  Here's an example of one...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/BRl0EywEGLqZiEEPG2rFPlbrIqKC6vGYdlPED1yhCoF

20 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Wow, that's ridiculous.  It's been two years since that thread was started...I can't believe a cutting edge IT company like Amazon hasn't resolved it.

Guess I'll have to try another free hosting site.  I needed the cloud anyway so it's not that big of a deal.  Photobucket can photosucket though.

Any others besides imgur that anyone can recommend?  I need it strictly for 3rd party hosting.

Thanks.

• Like 2

imgur works.  What a PITA this whole thing is though.  I can't believe photobucket thought this was a smart move.  Everyone is gonna go to imgur now.  Except the dozen idiots who will pay $400/year for 3rd hosting.  That's a gigantic LOL.

BX06Vl8.jpg

In the spirit of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, other forums I have participated in urge folks to post their pics (as opposed to links) directly into the forum site.  This assures that your past threads and posts continue to make sense and add value even after Photobucket, Imgur, or some other third party service goes rogue.  The worst impact seems to come from folks who host their own.  If their interests change or they wander off you end up with a bunch of posts full of these;

5957cd112261f_picnotfound.JPG.6cd26f424609f70f0d657ae24c359f01.JPG

27 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

In the spirit of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, other forums I have participated in urge folks to post their pics (as opposed to links) directly into the forum site.  This assures that your past threads and posts continue to make sense and add value even after Photobucket, Imgur, or some other third party service goes rogue.  The worst impact seems to come from folks who host their own.  If their interests change or they wander off you end up with a bunch of posts full of these;

5957cd112261f_picnotfound.JPG.6cd26f424609f70f0d657ae24c359f01.JPG

Yeah but then you have all sorts of resizing issues, no?  Anyway, I hear constant complaining about that so someone is.

What's your process for loading pics?

• Like 1

Sorry, I was out in the shop . . . oh wait . .. not sorry :).

I use PixResizer and find it fairly friendly but, I've used it for years so I may just know where the potholes are.  The thing I like about it is that you can batch-change files from one directory and put the resized files into another directory.

So, I just setup my camera to fire off the pictures import function when the PC sees it connect to the USB cable.  All the pics go into a folder called "Big" or whatever you like.  PixResizer looks like so:

5958116892ae3_pixresizerinterface.JPG.a40c5642b2fa5dcc5a0b7ef8f92a2806.JPG

Once you enter the Source and Destination folders it uses them the next time you open the application.  The default settings for size is 600 and any change will not be remembered in the "free" version.  I don't fond this to be a problem.  Basically my routine goes like this:

• Connect the camera and power it on, pictures download to my "Big" folder.
  • Open the "Big" folder and delete the junk pics I took and sometimes rename the ones I want to keep.
  • Open PixResizer and click the "Save Pictures" button, pictures are resized and dropped into my "Small" folder.
  • Insert the pics I want into the thread or post I am working on.

There are a lot of programs out there for this but, this one handles what I need done in a few mouse clicks so, my laziness wins out over sparkly features of newer programs.

i upload them directly from my phone or my PC. I rarely have resizing issues.  The forum software does it automatically.  

When the forum rejects a picture, I just crop it a bit using my phone's built in editing software and then it seems to work.  It is an extra step, but no more work than uploading to a hosting site that sells your shit to Ted's 12000 plans. 

Mike brings up a good point.  I'm just old school so I don't like to upload 4 Mb file when a 70 Kb file looks about the same online.  If you don't mind the small delay, just import them directly.  I did a test at 3.1 Mb

5958226e11802_GnGLowCoD(16).thumb.JPG.0cecaaf25cbfd0122e0abf8aefaa75f6.JPG

And even a 9.7 Mb file did OK.

GnG_Low_CoD_(289).thumb.JPG.607edcb0305b036abc32e8088bdcf9f0.JPG

Since the updated forum about a year ago I just upload pics using the forum software and like Mike said it seems to scale them down. I used to use Google photos then they stopped working. I think it's because they no longer had the .Jpg extension which is probably why Amazon isn't working either. 

Brisket direct upload from iPad 

IMG_0421.thumb.JPG.92f09a91c1cd6223e434948eb1961f34.JPG