Twin Screw End Vise

gee-dub

Every now and then something comes along with the sole purpose of freaking me out.  Before opening the chain that came with the smaller twin screw vise I checked the leftover parts from the large twin screw already installed.  The leftover chain from the large vise install fits the new vise like this . . .

595941d2e58ee_TNNWEndVise(13).jpg.f4fc929df11dfa35d20eb97b1385fca3.jpg

The ends were even correct.  I just slipped the spare connecting link (also from the previous vise) in and snapped it shut.

• Like 1

Nice install. I have that vice, but installed on the end of the bench. I'd like to have one on the front as well, but that would involve removing the top.

The instructions suggest angling the face of the chop a couple of degrees or so. I did that, but I think it was too much. Makes it look goofy & I don't think there's much benefit.

I also lined it with suede, which makes it nice & grippy.

Those round head screws they supply are also too short to hold in the end grain. First time I let the handle drop it popped the cap right off.

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

This being the first vise of this type I had experience with I went a bit overboard and used some scrap UHMW plastic and some wooden spacers.

I used a piece of maple with some graphite cloth glued to it, which help a lot.

• 1 month later...