Source for slabs

wtnhighlander

I first met Roy Underhill when I was on a quest to find a supplier of slabs.  Word of mouth had sent me to Hillsborough, and I was walking along a street trying to find the place.  I happened to walk by a house with a bunch of people building shave horses in the back yard.  Curiosity got the best of me, and I walked into the yard to see why they were making so many shave horses.  This was Roy's last year in school ('75 or '76- can't remember), and he was teaching a class.  He showed me all through his house, which looked an awful lot like the set of his TV show these days, and even let me play with the spring pole lathe.

Anyway, that was a long time before the internet,  Craigslist makes the quest for slabs a lot easier these days. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2017 at 8:32 PM, wtnhighlander said:

My day-job boss has asked if I can build a 'unique' table for him. Working out the details, but he wants a thick red oak top, not live edge, but slab-like. Some sort of trestle base.

@wtnhighlander have you settled on the design yet?  If not, FWW just did a trestle table in the Aug 2017 issue that sounds similar to what you are describing.  And your boss probably doesn't read FWW so it would be "unique" to him.

Thanks, Mark. I'll look into that.

I think the major point he wants is mass. For many years, he was a maintenance supervisor in the steel mill where we work. During that time, he developed a reputation for over-building any sort of fabrication or structure that was needed, because making steel is a very destructive process.

He wants the table to reflect that 'over the top' style of construction.

I was thinking more along the lines of this 12 x 12 lally column in our hundred year old basement.  

20170813_113854.thumb.jpg.423bd6cc1e4ab040c16ba25cad771f1a.jpg

Actually his idea sounds intriguing.  If he wants an industrial look some heavy steel angle faux reinforcement at the joints might go with that motif. 

That's up to you, but I hope you'll showcase the final outcome for us.