band saw

t-bone

hi everyone have'nt been around for awhile i was wondering if the porter-cable 14" 2 speed floor model band saw for 399.00 at lowes, is a good choice don't know to much about it i have a table saw, drill press, scroll saw, jointer/planer, plus a planer, compound miter saw, 1/2" and 3/8" drills, circular saw, routers, is that a good start all i need is a band saw. can someone help me out with the band saw.

hi everyone have'nt been around for awhile i was wondering if the porter-cable 14" 2 speed floor model band saw for 399.00 at lowes, is a good choice don't know to much about it i have a table saw, drill press, scroll saw, jointer/planer, plus a planer, compound miter saw, 1/2" and 3/8" drills, circular saw, routers, is that a good start all i need is a band saw. can someone help me out with the band saw.

I didn't know that Porter Cable has a bandsaw! In that price range, I've heard some good things about the Ridgid saw. I believe Michael Fortune uses one.

Dan,

While 1.5HP is nice, be careful not to rely too much on listed HP ratings and they can be manipulated and are often exaggerated. To calculate the actual HP, there is a formula:

Amps x Volts = Watts

746 Watts= 1 HP

Motors are not 100% efficient, so to get a realistic rating, we subtract 30% so we get...

10.0A x 115V = 1150 W

1150 / 746 = 1.54 HP

1.54 x .7=1.08 HP

1.08HP isn't bad at all for that saw. Unless the saw will be used for resawing +4" hardwoods regularly, it will probably be just fine, power wise.

Dan,

While 1.5HP is nice, be careful not to rely too much on listed HP ratings and they can be manipulated and are often exaggerated. To calculate the actual HP, there is a formula:

Amps x Volts = Watts

746 Watts= 1 HP

Motors are not 100% efficient, so to get a realistic rating, we subtract 30% so we get...

10.0A x 115V = 1150 W

1150 / 746 = 1.54 HP

1.54 x .7=1.08 HP

1.08HP isn't bad at all for that saw. Unless the saw will be used for resawing +4" hardwoods regularly, it will probably be just fine, power wise.

thanks thats really cool