Getting a SawStop

klousiajp@gmail.com

So I'm getting a new SawStop. My shop is my basement so size and mobility are considerations, and of course cost is as well, so I'm going to be getting the contractor saw. A couple of questions that I'd like to have answered though.

1. What is the difference between the Aluminum Extrusion fence and the T-Glide?

2. Is it worth getting the cast iron wings over the stamped wings? And since space is a major consideration, what other options are available? Has anyone integrated a router table into their contractor saw?

3. The mobile base is something I need but has someone used a non-SawStop version? I have seen some ads for one at woodcraft for 69 bucks rather than 150. Is the name version worth the extra cash?

4. Is the dust collector add-on worth getting?

Is there anything else that i need to think about with this saw or anything that is a must have that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for your help.

J.P., I am going to give you what I think, which is by no means the right thing for you.

1. Let me first say, if you are concerned about space, the hybrid cabinet would be a better fit. The contractors saw has a motor that sticks out the back side. THe hybrid cabinet will actually have a smaller footprint.

2. As for the mobile base, personally, I think that it is nicer to have it built into the base. It is right there and you dont have to worry about it. It has a nice pedal to pick it up and move it around and one to put it down. The cheap ones you have to use screws to lock it in place and sometimes those cheap ones are just well, cheap. You say that you are space limited and it sounds like you may have to move it with some regularity. You will appreciate it in the long run.

3. If you dont go for the hybrid, the cast iron tables are definitely worth it. They will stay flat and help add weight to the saw. It will help with vibration. Plus it is a nice flat reference surface.

4. The fence... I would say that the biggest difference it durability and accuracy. While I have not used the aluminum fence, I do have a T-glide style fence. It is strong, heavy weight, and ACCURATE. I would not hesitate at all about getting it. But I am kind of anal accuracy.

5. The DC is really up to you. If you want the cleanest air possible, then get it. If you wear a respirator then I wouldnt worry about it. I have heard that it make a big difference, and I admit that I would like some sort of over the blade DC on my saw, I just havent gotten to it yet.

What it comes down to, buying a TS is an investment. If you get a good one then chances are you can have it for the rest of your life and will never have to replace it. And it you get the goodies now, then you dont have to worry about it later. I dont think that you would regret getting these things. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

The dust port on the Sawstop contractor is in an awkward place and angle. I have to lie on my back to attach anything to it. It might be OK if I was going to permanently hook it up, but until I get my dream dust collector system, I have to connect and disconnect. So, I permanently attached 3 foot length of 4" flex host to the Sawstop contractor dist port with a coupler attached to the end. Now, I can attach anything I want to the coupler, with having to reach under the saw.

If you're willing to do that, then skip the dust collector.

You might also want to read this thread.

As a SawStop owner, let me start buy saying "Great Choice".

Sac is dead on by saying the hybrid cabinet takes up less space. It's dust collection is also superior.

If you can afford it, get the entire dust collection set up. In a basement shop it will make a huge difference in how much dust you track upstairs. The entire SawStop dust collection system gets like 99% of all dust. Serious, you can't beat it. If you can afford it, get it.

I am one of those rare Delta Unifence geeks. I love my Unifence. But having said that, I'd still recommend any T-Glide fence over an aluminum extrusion. You will one day want to upgrade it if you don't get it now. May as well bite the bullet.

You can put a router table extension into almost any saw as long as the fence is the right length. As a matter of fact if you don't want to buy the router extension, there is an article showing how to build a really nice, well-designed, space-saving router table into what looks to be a SawStop Hybrid saw. I image it would work for almost any saw. The article is in Fine Woodworking's Tools & Shops Annual Issue, Winter 2010/11, No.216 on page 50.

Thanks Sac,

Your advice is terrific. I'd love to have the cabinet saw, unfortunately, the additional $1,000 is a limiting factor.

From what I can find the 1.75 PCS is ~$2300 + the cost of the mobile base. ~$2500/$2600 is going to be a tough sell to the Mrs. Maybe I'll keep saving though, I like where your head is at :)

Does anyone know if you can get the Premium Fence Assembly on the contractor saw rather than the aliminum extrusion one? And what might be the difference between them? It's unfortunate that nobody around me actually has these saws in stock so that I can actually check them out. Instead, I have to rely on what is honestly a not helpful Sawstop website and the guys at the local Woodcraft that really don't know much about each of the SS options.

No problem JP, I am sure that you can get the good fence on the contractors. I think that it is one of the more important aspects of a saw and like I said, would recommend it. As for the exact differences, the T-glide fence will be stronger and have less flex. The t-glide fence is generally regarded as an industry standard. I personally, if you could, wait a little bit to get the better saw. I think that you would be happier in the long run. ALso, like someone mentioned, DC in the house is a good thing to have. The hybrid will will definitely help with that. As for the Mrs, explain to her the differences and dont rule out begging.

dont rule out begging.

How do you think I've reached this point.

The DC portion is a pretty strong point in the argument for the PCS though. I've turned out enough useful stuff around the house for her to not hate my hobby but she still doesn't love it. The fine layer of sawdust that she has to wipe off of the dryer each time she goes down there is certainly a contributing factor.

I'm doing my best to rationalize the additional expense, which is considerable. Based on what everyone has recommended I think my plan is to hold off with the purchase and continue saving. The 1.75 PCS being a bit smaller, and having better DC has convinced me. Now I just need to convince her.

1. Let me first say, if you are concerned about space, the hybrid cabinet would be a better fit. The contractors saw has a motor that sticks out the back side. THe hybrid cabinet will actually have a smaller footprint.

I've considered the sawstop as a purchase down the road. I've got a basement workshop as well and space is limited. Can someone tell me the minimum footprint on the cabinet saw? i am not a fan of another contractor saw, nor of getting the stamped wings. Thanks!

When I bought my Sawstop contractor saw, the only "dust collection" option was the dust collection panel which makes it easier to hook up hoses. All the rest was standard. That's what I was commenting on in my response.

But I've seen a lot of responses that say that the dust collection is really important. Is there some additional dust collection option that I'm not aware of?

When I bought my Sawstop contractor saw, the only "dust collection" option was the dust collection panel which makes it easier to hook up hoses. All the rest was standard. That's what I was commenting on in my response.

But I've seen a lot of responses that say that the dust collection is really important. Is there some additional dust collection option that I'm not aware of?

Hey Beech, they have the newblade guard that provides pretty good DC from what I hear.

I've considered the sawstop as a purchase down the road. I've got a basement workshop as well and space is limited. Can someone tell me the minimum footprint on the cabinet saw? i am not a fan of another contractor saw, nor of getting the stamped wings. Thanks!

Can't quote the dimensions of PCS (goto SawStop web site for this) but it was the same dimensions as contractors saw without the motor hanging out the back. Mine took up less space then my Delta contractor saw it replaced but with 3HP :lol:

Interesting it is the first time I've read the PCS referred to as a "hybrid". I though a hybrid was a contractor's saw (trunnion attached directly to top) with the motor hung underneath within a cabinet. I though PCS was a cabinet saw with smaller dimensions. Was I wrong?

JP,

i just got the sawstop contractor saw for Christmas. I got the cast iron wings, the 36" T-Glide fence system, and the mobile base, shipped for approximately $2200-$2300. I absolutely love the contractor saw. im sure the footprint is smaller on the cabinet saw and the dust collection is probably better, but the ability to move it around is so nice. i'd say the T-glide fence system is definitely worth the upgrade money and i would say the cast iron wings are a must! this saw is soooooo smooth! you will love anything in the sawstop family!

So when you decide or successfully beg for the PCS model, seriously consider their mobile base. It fits inside the body of the saw with two wheels under the right extension wing. Simple foot press to elevate and wheel around then another to lower. Biggest benefit is that when the base is disengaged, the saw sits on the ground on its own. Most bases have locking wheels and wiggle. I had one on my PM64 and would never do that again.

There is no question I'll be getting some sort of mobile base. The SS one looks like the way to go, but of course it is no bargain.

I feel like SawStop is the Apple of the tablesaw world. Their products are nice, and shiny, and work incredibly well. The owners of their saws are loyal to a fault and everything they make is incredibly expensive, even for simple things like mobile bases.

don't agree with the apple analogy, i haven't detected any cult-like following or stepford woodworkers here from the saw stop owners. just a bunch folks serious about keeping their digits where they were intended. plus the saws accept most other 10 inch blades or 8 inch dado's. all low production volume leapfrog technologies are pricey and the realm of early adoptors. it's more analogous to that friend that got the first plasma tv. does the same thing your tube tv does, but has advanced features that are way cool, lol!

don't agree with the apple analogy, i haven't detected any cult-like following or stepford woodworkers here from the saw stop owners. just a bunch folks serious about keeping their digits where they were intended. plus the saws accept most other 10 inch blades or 8 inch dado's. all low production volume leapfrog technologies are pricey and the realm of early adoptors. it's more analogous to that friend that got the first plasma tv. does the same thing your tube tv does, but has advanced features that are way cool, lol!

I can see both analogies. I myself might be considered a little cultish or freakish about my SawStop. By the same token, I'd be shocked by anyone who spends any time with a SawStop Cabinet Saw and doesn't come away from it incredibly impressed. I have a bunch of woodworking buddies out here in Central Iowa and I've used their Deltas, their Jets, their craftsmans and their Grizzlys. In my mind its still no contest. I should mention that each of my friends prefer my saw as well. (I have no friends here with a Powermatic, I'm sorry. Also, no European style TS.) The Delta is not bad, my buddy is mostly happy with his. He thought the two wheels in front was going to be a big advantage, but didn't turn out to be so. I'm honest when I say this, the Delta doesn't "feel" as good as the SawStop. The wheels, the weight, the whole thing. I know I'm biased, but my buddy has admitted to me that he should have dropped the extra 10% more and got the SawStop.

I don't want to put down other products or people for using them. Everyone makes their purchase decisions based on their own situation and like any big investment, people have different ideas of what they want in a table saw. But I have never heard anyone say that they were sorry they got the SawStop.

There is no question I'll be getting some sort of mobile base. The SS one looks like the way to go, but of course it is no bargain.

I feel like SawStop is the Apple of the tablesaw world. Their products are nice, and shiny, and work incredibly well. The owners of their saws are loyal to a fault and everything they make is incredibly expensive, even for simple things like mobile bases.

JP,

i believe that once you get ur sawstop and start putting it together you will see the quality that everyone is talking about. you just won't believe how beefy the parts are. everything is heavy and so solid. the directions are easily the most clear i have ever read. putting this saw together was a pleasure compared to other tools i have assembled. everything goes together like it was laser aligned. im certain you won't be unsatisfied.