Looking for a nice tool cabinet plan??

A_Vitale

Thats it...thats it!

That is basically the cabinet that I was refering too and what inspired my post. Every time I look at the roubo bench issue I see the cabinet faintly in the background and have not had a real good look at it. More pics if you could man. I would love to see all the other details like the drawers,link to hardware, etc.

Thanks a ton for postin!

Yes, the door panels are a 1/2 inch thick with a rabbit on the back side, the 1/4" dimension slots in to a groove in the rails and styles. To mount the glass you assemble the door, route a big rabbit on the back side, add vertical mullions from the back and horizontal from the front, slip the glass in then hold the on place with little strips on the back. Lot's of parts but it is pretty simple really.

I'm bastardizing my Winter Guild Wall Cabinet Build into a tool cabinet. I don't have any formal plans, but I am posting about it as I go. You can check it out at penultimatewoodshop.com

As for inspiration, I review all my inspiraton for the design in this post. The biggest inspiration was article entitled "Tool-Cabinet Design" by Chris Becksvoort from the 2001 edition of Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops (it's a member's only article).

Hope this helps, and happy tool cabinet building.

OK, there is a board behind the back bords running horizontally which is a french cleat to hang the sucker on the wall. Both the back boards and the french cleat sit in a giant 1" deep rabbit (the rabbit I was cutting on the RAS in one of the pictures above) The cleat attaches with screws in to the top and sides of the cabinet as well as a few short ones into the back boards which are also screwed to the cabinet at the top / bottom andat each shelf intersection.

lol I just pulled it apart on sketch up and realized it was a french cleat... so the other parts to the cabinet side are screwed in to the case? Is some kind of pocket hole used?

also what method does the plan call for to dado out for the dividers. I was thinking just routing the stopped dado and squaring it off ??

I really appreciate your help with this man!

• Like 1

The back and the french cleat are screwed in place. Every other joint except the overhanging top is glued. bottom dovetailed to the sides, top is two rails dovetailed to the sides then the overhanging top is attached to the rails with screws.

You can do the dado's however you want, router then square em off or what I did which was to use a radial arm saw. You could do then on a table saw with a stop cut on on side and plunge cut on the other. However you do em some chisel work is needed to square then off. The dividers between the cubbies and the drawers are through dados.

Cool thanks man, having access to the plan would have been alot easier lol. I wanna build it exactly as the chris did that is why I have so many questions, but I really appreciate your help. As I make progress...I guess once my bench is done I will post pics of the build! If you come across any other useful info or pictures that would be great. Thanks again man!