walnut table top w/ maple legs????

jimmykx250

Im already into the table top for 500 bucks and the legs are 130 a pop in maple I think they were like 200 each in walnut plus 130 to ship! I guess the contrast thing isnt a bad idea either??!?!?I dont want to sound like a cheap skate but this thing has cost quite a bit more than I had anticipated. I guess at this point what's a couple hundred bucks right?

Jimmy

It is possible that you can attain the same color as the walnut top, but you will not be able to make maple look like walnut even if it is the same color. As expensive as the table may be, it would be a lot more expensive if you ruined the maple legs and had to buy new ones to match. I say go with the contrasting colors or splurge for the walnut legs. Best of luck!

Bryan

After a brief discussion with the boss I have just learned she wants to stain the legs black to contrast the top and match a piece i built in the kitchen which is painted black. I just noticed these legs are available in alder- would that be a better choice for staining? How hard is alder? No clue about that wood?

Jimmy,

Alder is on the softer end of the hardwoods. Janka rating of 590 vs. 1010 for black walnut. You can easily make a thumb nail mark in the wood. But who is going to be using their nails on your legs.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/janka.htm

This link will let you see the hardness of the different woods they may offer. When I was building cabinets, alder was the lower cost alternative to birch (but that was 30 years ago). Now, alder seems to be one of the go to woods. Times change.

I've used the Woodcraft General Finishes ebony water based dye with good results.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020491/22650/General-Finishes-Water-Based-Dye-Ebony-Pint.aspx

I thought about the traditional process of using bark powder tea, steel wool disolved in vinegar, etc. But the dye seemed so much easier. Here is the link to the tea process if you want to try that.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Ebonizing_Wood/

Good luck,

Doug

930 bucks for a set of turned table legs?

At that price point you can almost justify buying a lathe and then getting Walnut stock to make your own turned legs.

Osborne company seems to have the market on this stuff. Not sure if the pricing is out of line or not. They do have online drawings and i will be trying to find a local guy to turn them for me. I checked into buying the lumber alone and that didnt seem to make sence. I do have a lathe but have never used it before (it was a gift) and this seems to be a bit much for a first project. These legs are 5" square at the top so they are pretty massive and to top it off they are 35" tall (countertop height).

930 bucks for a set of turned table legs?

At that price point you can almost justify buying a lathe and then getting Walnut stock to make your own turned legs.

I agree. Or, find a local turner who will turn them for you. I'll bet for much less than a grand. Wouldn't you rather have them hand turned by a human VS machine turned?

As for staining the maple to the color of walnut, I'll bet it won't turn out like you are thinking. Walnut has a open cell structure and stringy grain (run your fingers across the grain, you'll feel the lines in it). Maple has a closed sell, very tight grain. They are more or less complete opposites. Meaning they will feel different.

I always say I'm too poor to have to do it twice. ;)