Botched Walnut Crotch

Pwk5017

I stopped by a local sawyer's stockroom this weekend to pick up some 8/4 walnut for my next project. It is a decent drive for me, so i figured i would look around for something i might need in the future. He does mostly live edge slabbing nowadays(where the money is at), but i did notice these chunks of walnut stacked in a corner. They used to be a yard tree that the owner completely botched. for some reason, the guy cut an 8-10' main trunk into 3-4 sections. The sawyer took the sections and slabbed them up in 12/4 chunks, but what a missed opportunity. 8-10' walnut slabs with that much crotch figure would be a pretty penny. I bought three chunks for $20 a piece, and you can see how the guy cut the crotch feathering down the middle. My pieces are 40-46" by 18"ish in the middle. Almost unusable firewood, but the thickness will let me get a few drawerfronts or panels of crotch figure out of each chunk. The remaining stuff portion will be difficult to use. Might end up being turning blanks.

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks so much for posting this!!  For several years, I've had the charge of fixing an early 19th Century piece of furniture that I've been having an impossible time finding matching grain for the edging around the top, to replace some missing chunks of the thick veneer edge banding.   I've been looking for burl all this time, when now I see that its part of a crotch figure.  If you draw a line thought the center of the crotch figure, it's the part below the line.  It has rounded edge swirls in it, and I mistakenly thought it was part of a burl. 

I think I can find what I need now.  The owners will be very excited.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tom King said:

Thanks so much for posting this!!  For several years, I've had the charge of fixing an early 19th Century piece of furniture that I've been having an impossible time finding matching grain for the edging around the top, to replace some missing chunks of the thick veneer edge banding.   I've been looking for burl all this time, when now I see that its part of a crotch figure.  If you draw a line thought the center of the crotch figure, it's the part below the line.  It has rounded edge swirls in it, and I mistakenly thought it was part of a burl. 

See..... This crowd can be useful now and again.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:46 PM, Tom King said:

If you're having trouble identifying a type of figure, you might find this helpful:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_discussion_figureandgrain_pics.htm