Laguna 18BX (and similar size bandsaws)

Battle Ridge

I am anticipating purchasing the Laguna 18BX Bandsaw and would appreciate any insight and experiences that anyone would like to share on this or other similar size saws.  The reason I am looking at the 18" / 3hp size is for the resaw capability, most likely with the 1-1/4" Resaw King blade, though I would like to do a variety of other bandsaw work with it too. 

I have an old one-room schoolhouse (that is unfortunately beyond affordable refurbishment) that has an addition on two sides that was later used for general farm use.  The majority of the lumber is in relatively good condition and I plan on repurposing the wood for a variety of projects, furniture and other uses.  The ability to resaw the many 8/4 boards to 4/4 and other thickness would provide much more flexibility in gaining the most of what I have available.

I also have a 103 acre tree farm and at some point plan on adding a portable sawmill (EZ Boardwalk Jr, smaller Wood Mizer or similar) to make use of the annual tree fall, dying or weather damaged trees in which I will mill & dry the timber and further process the wood to a variety of projects, and thus the bandsaw will play a role here too.  Also, in the meantime, I may do some small-scale milling of occasional smaller logs with the bandsaw into various project boards.

Additionally, I am retired and looking at something to fill my free time and possibly supplement our income with products sold at an active local craft establishment.  The set up fee is approximately $100 +/- per month (depending on the size of the space used) with a 10% commission on sales - where we basically set up / restock our display space as needed and they handle everything else.  The bandsaw would be used for creating a variety of crafts and other items (primitive and otherwise) and in this, I am curious how well the larger bandsaw would perform when running with a smaller blade and making more intricate cuts.

Any input would be appreciated and while I am feeling pretty confident in the direction I am leaning, before shelling out a couple thousand dollars, I'd like to hear and learn all I can.  The price-point of the Laguna is on the upper edge of the budget, but should be workable.  I like the design and quality of the 18BX, the capabilities, guide system and features of the machine.  I presently have Radial Arm Saw, Table Saw, Scroll Saw, Router/Table, and a variety of hand power tools, as well as a 30' x 40' workshop (also used to house my tractor and other general shop items).

I suggest finding a larger, used bandsaw, and get a 14" for your craft work.   The Resaw King won't last long for what you're talking about doing with it.  A 24" bandsaw will run a band with much larger teeth, and cut faster.   What you're talking about doing is certainly possible with that saw, but it won't be the best for either type of work. 

I'd see if you can find an older, large saw for around $1,000, and buy a new 14" for less than a grand.  You can leave the big saw set up for resawing, and swap blades on the 14" for other work.

I agree with Tom King. If you plan to be really serious about resawing a LOT of lumber (and big pieces at that) then you want a larger saw. 24" would be ideal, though you might end up with a 28" or even 30" depending on what is available in your area. Your shop sounds like it has a large door in it so you can probably move a big tool in a lot easier then most folks. 

For anything that isn't resawing giant pieces the 14BX will be a fantastic option. Cheaper saws are also available.  

I appreciate the feedback and they have kicked in the brain cells this morning by contemplating the options.  

My concern in regard to a larger bandsaw is that it would likely see very limited long-term use and end up being an albatross in the shop.  I have a friend that has offered me his large industrial size bandsaw (I forget the size but it's big), so that route has already been considered & ruled out - just too much machine.  

Once I have reclaimed the wood from the school (& barn addition), my resaw needs will drop considerably.  The majority of the 2" thick wood ranges from 4 - 8" wide with a variety that is 10"+.  Initially the wood will be crosscut to length (radial arm saw), typically to 4' or less depending on the project - and easy to handle.  Most of the wood for table & bench tops and other pieces will remain full dimension, with additional boards ripped to width (tablesaw) when smaller sizes (table legs, etc.) are needed.  Most of the resaw work will be to create table aprons, and smaller thickness boards for decorative / craft creations where full thickness boards would be unsuitable and will oftentimes be in the range of 1 - 2 ft lengths.  

The eventual addition of the portable sawmill will allow the option to custom mill and dry a variety of board sizes (as well as different hardwood species), and having the capability of using the shop bandsaw to further process or resaw individual pieces when needed can be a plus. Hopefully most of my on-hand stock of wood will be close to what is needed, but having the option of placing the resaw blade on the 18BX and having it's capabilities is attractive.  Until the sawmill purchase is made though, I anticipate doing some occasional tinkering around with the shop bandsaw in regard to small (easy to handle 1-2 ft long, less than 12" diameter) log sections for a few project boards, 'cookies' or such.  Much of my focus is on remaining within the realistic capabilities of my equipment and I have been trying my best to research as much as possible including reading, video viewing (helpful) and more.

I have looked at a variety of saws in the 14" range (Laguna, Jet, Rikon) and while I was originally focusing on that group, upon having the opportunity to view the 18BX (as well as the 18" Jet) and comparing the different saws side-by-side, I began to lean toward the 18BX.  On the plus side, the 18" offers a much longer blade - thus longer lasting between sharpening, the option for a wider blade and less overall stress on the blade due to the larger diameter wheels.  The table size and fence is also considerably larger on the 18" vs the 14", and additional horsepower comes with the 18".  The 18" is also a substantially more beefy machine and I would be less likely to ever push the upper limits of it's capabilities in comparison to the 14",  particularly when utilized for resaw use. 

** On the concerning side is that the 18" is a lot more machine and while each runs similar smaller width blades, I was wondering how much of a hindrance (if any) the larger machine would be for everyday use or in smaller projects and cutting.  I realize that bigger isn't always better (but can be nice when you need it), and want to look at the intricacies and possible advantages of a smaller over a larger machine too. 

As a side note, I also have an older 10" Craftsman bandsaw that I acquired when my father passed away (I believe he may have bought it at a yard sale or such), but the tires are toast and while the motor runs, I don't know how good of an overall machine it is, and have been reluctant to replace and invest in the three tires that would be required - thinking it could be better to just upgrade to a new machine (Rikon 10" - $250) for small tasks if I would decide to go that route. 

Anyway...  I very much DO appreciate the feedback and given the chilly Ohio weather, will likely spend the afternoon digging around online and re-considering the 14" bandsaw recommendations, though larger size saws are likely out of the picture, with my focus in that regard more on a future smaller portable sawmill.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:00 PM, Battle Ridge said:

I appreciate the feedback and they have kicked in the brain cells this morning by contemplating the options.  

My concern in regard to a larger bandsaw is that it would likely see very limited long-term use and end up being an albatross in the shop.  I have a friend that has offered me his large industrial size bandsaw (I forget the size but it's big), so that route has already been considered & ruled out - just too much machine.  

Once I have reclaimed the wood from the school (& barn addition), my resaw needs will drop considerably.  The majority of the 2" thick wood ranges from 4 - 8" wide with a variety that is 10"+.  Initially the wood will be crosscut to length (radial arm saw), typically to 4' or less depending on the project - and easy to handle.  Most of the wood for table & bench tops and other pieces will remain full dimension, with additional boards ripped to width (tablesaw) when smaller sizes (table legs, etc.) are needed.  Most of the resaw work will be to create table aprons, and smaller thickness boards for decorative / craft creations where full thickness boards would be unsuitable and will oftentimes be in the range of 1 - 2 ft lengths.  

The eventual addition of the portable sawmill will allow the option to custom mill and dry a variety of board sizes (as well as different hardwood species), and having the capability of using the shop bandsaw to further process or resaw individual pieces when needed can be a plus. Hopefully most of my on-hand stock of wood will be close to what is needed, but having the option of placing the resaw blade on the 18BX and having it's capabilities is attractive.  Until the sawmill purchase is made though, I anticipate doing some occasional tinkering around with the shop bandsaw in regard to small (easy to handle 1-2 ft long, less than 12" diameter) log sections for a few project boards, 'cookies' or such.  Much of my focus is on remaining within the realistic capabilities of my equipment and I have been trying my best to research as much as possible including reading, video viewing (helpful) and more.

I have looked at a variety of saws in the 14" range (Laguna, Jet, Rikon) and while I was originally focusing on that group, upon having the opportunity to view the 18BX (as well as the 18" Jet) and comparing the different saws side-by-side, I began to lean toward the 18BX.  On the plus side, the 18" offers a much longer blade - thus longer lasting between sharpening, the option for a wider blade and less overall stress on the blade due to the larger diameter wheels.  The table size and fence is also considerably larger on the 18" vs the 14", and additional horsepower comes with the 18".  The 18" is also a substantially more beefy machine and I would be less likely to ever push the upper limits of it's capabilities in comparison to the 14",  particularly when utilized for resaw use. 

** On the concerning side is that the 18" is a lot more machine and while each runs similar smaller width blades, I was wondering how much of a hindrance (if any) the larger machine would be for everyday use or in smaller projects and cutting.  I realize that bigger isn't always better (but can be nice when you need it), and want to look at the intricacies and possible advantages of a smaller over a larger machine too. 

As a side note, I also have an older 10" Craftsman bandsaw that I acquired when my father passed away (I believe he may have bought it at a yard sale or such), but the tires are toast and while the motor runs, I don't know how good of an overall machine it is, and have been reluctant to replace and invest in the three tires that would be required - thinking it could be better to just upgrade to a new machine (Rikon 10" - $250) for small tasks if I would decide to go that route. 

Anyway...  I very much DO appreciate the feedback and given the chilly Ohio weather, will likely spend the afternoon digging around online and re-considering the 14" bandsaw recommendations, though larger size saws are likely out of the picture, with my focus in that regard more on a future smaller portable sawmill.

I have an 18” Laguna (Asian, LT 3000) and bought it because I work with a lot of reclaimed lumber, too.  It’s just the right size for my needs since I’m rarely resawing more than 12”.   I’d recommend you look into the 1” resaw king rather than the 1.25” by the way... I don’t know that your targeted saw couldn’t handle the extra .25” but I also don’t think you’ll need it.  

Changing the blades doesn’t take too long, but I tend to favor my jigsaw when I just need to make a few tight radius cuts.  Keeping the resaw king blade on my BS makes safe ripping more convenient and I find most reclaimed lumber needs to start out on the BS

I would get the large bandsaw, and sell it, if you wanted to, after the resawing project.   A 24", and larger bandsaw can tension a Lenox Woodmaster CT (carbide tipped) blade. That blade is too thick for smaller saws.  A 24" can run a 1" 1.3 TPI , and with the extra blade speed of the larger saw, any resaw it will do is about 10 times as fast,  and easier, with no loss in cut quality, of any saw running a Resaw King.   I'm saying this from personal experience.  The Woodmaster CT comes up to 2" wide with larger teeth still than the 1.3, but it requires an even larger saw than the 24".  That blade also costs no more than the RK.  The 14' blade for my 24" costs a few dollars less than $200.

My large bandsaw also resides in my mechanic building, which I also work on tractors inside.  it's on castors, so not much trouble to push back out of the way once I'm done with it.  My original plan was to resell it after I finished a big resawing job with it, but that plan quickly changed after I started using it.  Instead, I sold all the resaw blades I owned for the smaller machines.

The larger the saw, the higher the blade speed.  Find the recent thread about bandsaw blade speed.  Look at the video in that thread of the guy breaking a small blade on the big bandsaw.  Blade speed is something that few factor in when deciding which saw to get.

My ideal setup, if I was starting from scratch would be a big, used bandsaw, a Rikon 10-326 for almost everything else.   Once you resaw on a large bandsaw, you won't want to bother on a smaller saw.   As i stand now, I have a 24" Centauro, an old tricked out Delta 14", and a Craftsman 12".   I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have put the money in upgrading the Delta.   I've seen that Rikon on sale for $850.   You don't need a high end 14" if you are not going to resaw on it, but it's better for almost everything else except resawing.

The 18BX is rated for a 1-1/4" wide blade, though at the same time, my preference is to not necessarily push the upper capacity (tension requirements) of my equipment and therefore a 1" blade could be preferable.  I know that a wider blade can correspond with a straighter cut, but for my purposes it is possible that the 1" width would provide satisfactory results and be a good fit.  This is something that will likely get additional scrutiny before making a final decision.  

The portable sawmill I am considering runs a 1-1/4" blade and cuts relatively swiftly.  Once I am finished reclaiming the lumber from the schoolhouse / barn addition, much of the wood I will be utilizing will come from the timber on my property and generally milled to the size needed.  While I anticipate some occasional resaw work will follow, it will not be to a great extent, so with this I am having a difficult time envisioning anything larger than an 18" bandsaw in the shop.  

In regard to smaller / detail work,  I am leaning toward the option of a 10" Rikon and it seems like it would work well in conjunction with my present scroll saw and the larger bandsaw, filling a specific niche in my needs. 

In focusing on the type of projects I have in mind and my overall woodworking needs, it is paramount that the equipment match and work well in reaching the ultimate outcome I would like.  While I can foresee a variety of different saws performing a multitude of general woodworking tasks, the more I define my own unique personal needs, the more I find my field of choices narrowing.  I can envision the possibility of various gaps laying between my final choice of saws, but in many ways the gaps correspond with the lack of an actual need to do a lot of cutting within those gaps. 

While my search still remains a continuing process, the research I have been doing - including input from various forums and the wealth of experienced insight here - has been instrumental in helping me not only build a bandsaw information base, but to also further define my needs and wants.  I appreciate everything everyone has shared.

• 2 weeks later...

The Laguna 18BX bandsaw is my final choice.

Wood Werks in Columbus is having their 2018 Winter Expo with a multitude of demos and displays this weekend, along with discounts of 10% off machines, 15% off accessories and 20% off lumber and turning blocks, so my Chief Financial Officer (wifey) and I made the 80 mile trip and purchased the saw.  In addition to the 10% savings, I didn't have to pay the standard $75.00 delivery charge that purchasing from other dealers would have added, so that made the saw the cheapest I have ever found it.  Next comes unloading and assembly but for convenience I can back my truck to the spot I will be placing the saw, making things go much easier.

'The Wood Working Shows' is also in Columbus at the State Fairgrounds this weekend and thus provided the opportunity to visit both events in one day.  I don't think we were the only ones to take advantage of the timing of the events and Wood Werks parking lot was overflowing with parking extending into the snow-covered berm along the road and wherever people could fit their vehicles.  Interestingly they received a delivery of Jet equipment today and they had to offload the truck some distance away, making it necessary to make several trips up and down the road with the forklift to ferry the equipment in.

'The Wood Working Shows' was nice and gave us the opportunity to see Alex Snodgrass in person with his bandsaw seminar and additionally to speak with him afterward, as well as to speak with his father and meet Alex's wife.  They are a class act and a knowledge base that is very much worth seeing in person.

Thank you to everyone that posted and the insight was quite helpful.

• 3 months later...

In short, I love my Laguna 18BX (though this is perhaps an understatement).

I spent a lot of time researching online and traveling to dealers in multiple directions, as well as gathering the wealth of forum information that was provided, and in addition I contemplated over a variety of concerns and reservations I might have had, but in the end, each brain cell expended in the process was well worth it and I have no reservations in the saw whatsoever.

My one remaining concern was about the saw being perhaps "too big", but that has vanished and I have found no negatives in having an 18" saw over a variety of smaller choices, and if anything, having the additional capacity, power and particularly the table size has been a huge benefit.

The saw cuts and performs well and the build and quality is quite satisfactory.  The only fault I found was that while adjusting the lower guide, things seemed to be a little bit off.  In removing the plate that holds the guide, I found a small spot of weld splatter in which I used a Dremel tool with a drum sanding attachment to easily make the problem go away.  Also, I became concerned at one point in which the saw would not come on, but a check quickly found that the brake pedal had not fully raised (the saw was new and the fit was still a bit snug), and a little nudge upward was all that was needed to re-engage the shut-off switch.  Otherwise all has been outstanding.

The size of the saw is great for both large and small work and there is plenty of capacity to work in all directions without feeling cramped, additionally it is quite stable with no movement and the table height is quite convenient.  The horsepower is more than adequate and provides plenty of power, and the ability to change blades and perform other functions is easy with the design of the saw.  I also appreciate the dust collection outlets being on the same side of the saw and would find having outlets on two different sides to be a hindrance and protrude into the workspace between my bandsaw and my workbench / assembly table (which also holds my belt / spindle sander).  I really love the ceramic Laguna guides (adjusting the lower guides can be a little snug, though no worse than any other manufacturers designs) and while I haven't used a saw with roller type guides, I find myself without any desire for anything but the ceramic - though at some point I may drop down to a 3/16" blade and add a Carter Stabilizer to fill the gap between my scroll saw and my 1/4" bandsaw blade.  

The brake feature is definitely a worthwhile feature and I use it more often than I though I might.  It is convenient to more swiftly stop the blade after a cut to remove any smaller pieces of wood that may be lingering, as well as decreasing the time necessary before adjusting the guide height or for setting up the fence for another cut.  It can be surprising how long the blade can continue to spin when the saw is shut off, and if you lose attention for a few moment and return to do something, a silently spinning blade can have the potential to present a danger to any flesh that may come near.  It is also easy to find yourself on the out-feed side of the saw when cutting longer pieces and it is much easier to give the brake a tap to shut the saw off, than returning back to the in-feed side to kill the power.

My blade selection consists of the carbide 1" Laguna Resaw King which performs superbly and while the saw is rated for up to a 1-1/4" blade, I generally prefer not to work in the upper limits of my equipment, though it appears that the saw has plenty of capacity to fully tension the 1-1/4" blade.  I also have the bi-metal Lenox Diemaster 2 blades - 1/2" 4tpi and 1/4" 6tpi.  I am presently doing a lot of work with smaller pieces of wood and thus the 1/4" blade has been my primary go-to, leave-on-the-saw blade and it handles much general cutting well.  When working with larger pieces of wood, the 1/2" blade sits on the saw and also seems to handle smaller work well too without needing to switch to the smaller blade.  Of course, the RK is great for resaw work.

As mentioned earlier, I may add a 3/16" blade and a Carter Stabilizer for detail cutting, but haven't reached the point of going there yet.  I have also been considering adding a blade suitable for cutting some smaller log sections (1-2" length) into boards.  I own and live on a 103 acre tree farm and while my future plans are to add a portable sawmill, I would like to do some initial tinkering before taking that step, though am contemplating the concerns in doing any working with the bandsaw in that aspect due to the moisture and sap concerns (clean-up / rusting).  Additionally, I have some reclaimed lumber from our one-room schoolhouse that I would like to resaw and while I will be checking both visually and with a detector for metal, I would like to add a blade to resaw questionable pieces to avoid the chance of destroying the RK blade.

Those are a few of my thoughts and impressions of the saw.  Basically I would recommend it without hesitation and since having it in my shop, I haven't looked back with anything but good experiences.

• Like 1