Longworth chuck

difalkner

Can do!  What do you think about the design?  I know some people like the symmetrical slot design and some like this design with the short slot.  I can do them either way...

Another thought - should a 10" have just 6 slots instead of 8?  Eight slots seems like a lot of slots for a smaller disc.

David

I also am not currently in the market - but some day I will be.  From what I know about how these operate - which is only minimal - how critical is it that it be mounted precisely center on the faceplate?  Will a little deviation cause a problem in securing the item and getting a round shape?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Very cool. I'm not in the market for one yet, but will remember it when I am. You might also be able to sell plain discs to make sanding discs for lathes.

Just plain discs?  I can do that.  Which diameters are popular - same as the Longworth chuck?

David

22 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

I also am not currently in the market - but some day I will be.  From what I know about how these operate - which is only minimal - how critical is it that it be mounted precisely center on the faceplate?  Will a little deviation cause a problem in securing the item and getting a round shape?

I wouldn't think it would be critical to the thousandth or even hundredth.  But one reason I put a tight tolerance hole in the center is to aid in lining it up perfectly.  If the outside perimeter is off a tiny bit and it bothers someone they can always turn it to be concentric.  The grippers I have seen are soft enough that there is probably a bit of tolerance in them when fastening your bowl or lid or whatever you mount in the Longworth chuck.  But I speak from a point of woodworking knowledge and no experience with using one of these chucks. 

One thing I can do is locate the holes for mounting the face plate if I have accurate dimensions of the face plate being used.  That's what I will be doing for my friend on Saturday when we cut his 16" chuck.  I'll use the CNC to place a 1/16" dia. mark 1/16" deep and then he can drill the appropriate pilot hole size for his screws.

I'm sort of like JW Gallagher when he started building guitars.  He didn't play guitar but Doc Watson thought enough of them to use Gallagher guitars for years. ;)

David

He has a face plate that will be dedicated to this chuck.  He mentioned some commercially available grippers but also said he might stop by Lowe's or HD and pick up some chair leg feet and give that a try first. 

This is the face plate he'll use and since he gave me good dimensions I will use the CNC to put a 1/16" depression where the screws will go.  So hopefully when he drills his pilot holes the plates will be concentric with his spindle.  If not he can true up the outer perimeter a bit on the lathe.

20180212_103632_resized.jpg.8c9e09f3cab32cc6425de3364ca8a29f.jpg

David

9 minutes ago, difalkner said:

He has a face plate that will be dedicated to this chuck.  He mentioned some commercially available grippers but also said he might stop by Lowe's or HD and pick up some chair leg feet and give that a try first. 

I just looked at some of the commercial kits and they look just like the bottle stoppers, bolts and wingnuts you can get from the hardware store and they weren't cheap. Looks like you can make the grippers pretty easily yourself and much cheaper. I like his faceplate. 

• Like 1