Slightly shorter Dutch chest?

Tony Wilkins

I found the sugar pine that I had started to make a Dutch tool chest from.  The sides are each about 23 5/8”.  When I went back and looked at the plans for the ‘small’ chest from the Schwarz PWW article, the sides are to be 24 1/16.  Will I miss the length if I build my chest from them?

Also, say a small prayer that I can find the rest of the 1X12 that i bought for this lol.

I am not familiar with the plans or the layout of the tools that go in it.  But I guess the way to start is take your longest tool that goes in that orientation and measure it.  You have only lost 7/16 of an inch.  Just remember as you continue on,  you have to adjust everything along that same plane by 7/16.

Easy peasy... Lay everything out to see if it will fit. The critical dimension is the height of your tallest plane you plan on storing in the top. sole to top of the tote...

You may want to consider adjusting the angle of the lid to give you more room in the front of the chest.

19 minutes ago, jmaichel said:

The longest plane idea works best. The only exception is if you plan to store a pair of panel saws in the lid, then you have to account for the length of the saws.

I had planned on making the width enough for my number 7 though I have wondered if making It long enough for my 26” handsaws would be beneficial.

i was planning on following the superimposition method with the 7 for where to place the shelf as shown on Roy’s show.

So the plans call for a 27” width which I guess works for CS’ #8.  I tried my sides and my #7 works with that as the width.  I’m wondering if I should swap the sides for the bottom and the shelf?  

As far as fitting to your tools, he talks about “above” the shelf based on the depth of your tallest tool (the jointer I suspect).  They never talk about the depth of the bottom compartment.  I reckon that because it depends on what you have but I don’t know what that depth would need to be for the assortment of tools if shove under there.