Garage shop process

collinb

At this point my garage shop has worked. With everything on wheels there's no problem when it comes to space.

What I'm running into now is the efficiency question: How to arrange things so that workflow will allow me efficient access to each machine.

That ...

And I'm seeing how a full product workflow is developed. There are times when I might want to mill everything up front and times when I want to do it in stages -- depending on the materials and project.

The traditional IT approaches to workflow don't seem to fit.

I would start working on a project, takes notes on what works and what doesn't, and make those changes when you finish. You won't really know the best layout until you get a few projects done and then you can move things around and make changes accordingly. In my basement it's a constantly evolving design. Mostly because I am finicky and a tad obsessive about the way I do things.

I am trying to figure out workflow and machine layout in a two car garage workshop as well.

i just finished building a small box with the current layout and there are some things that need to be changed.    I will build at least two more boxes before changing anything though so I can better evaluate the things I think do work.

The sliding miter saw takes up a huge amount of floor space.    It may have to go live in the shed.    

I recenty swapped my mobile DC with the Jointer, also giving more access to the planer.  It made a big difference being able to move easily between the table saw, jointer and planer.  Also the jointer was less in the way of TS outfeed than the taller DC had been (though not quite the right height to use as an outfeed table.)

Anyway, since you have things on wheels (as do I) try stuff out!

[edit:  agree with the mitre saw;  mine is parked out of the way, behind the boat.]

I  Like to keep my table saw in the center of the shop and have the jointer and workbench close by.  I do almost all my crosscutting on the slider on my table saw for the most part. I keep the shapers and router table together. Planer is near the back side of bench. I use the bench to break down lumber and stack lumber on it as it goes through the plainer. May not be any help because everyone workflow may be different along with there projects.

I used to put things sideways but how have them for vertical pull-out. That seems to work best.

My next solution is going to be table space. Right now I lay out a door over two workmates but I need something more practical.

shoplayout.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just set my garage up with work flow in mind . What I did was set up work stations. I have a small table saw, near it is my router table. I built small cabinets to house the items I use for routing and ripping (different blades/router bits etc) Next sanding I have all y sanders set up where I do my sandint then joinery etc etc .  My thoughts are to save as many steps I can, If I can save me 5 steps to get a tool and return to the work station and use on 2 steps, then Ive saved time and effort.

Well thats how I set mine up anyway