Couple pens

Gixxerjoe04

18 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Those are really cool looking Joe! I’ve often wondered, for those of you that turn, do you take the feel of the pen into consideration, as well as the looks? Just askin. 

As in like balance or thickness?  I've written with most of my pens and they all seem to work fine, love how rollerballs write.  Of course one pen I'm not fond of writing with was this specific kit that I used to make some family members xmas presents last year.  Was really the best quality kit I've used technically, each kit cost around $24 I believe which is high compared to what I usually work with, but the balance was way off, or the length as well as balance.  Made myself one, the pens have sentimental value because of what they're made from but I won't be grabbing it to write out anything more than my name with haha.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:42 PM, K Cooper said:

Those are really cool looking Joe! I’ve often wondered, for those of you that turn, do you take the feel of the pen into consideration, as well as the looks? Just askin. 

Depends on the final use of the pen.  If it's going to sit on a display stand, and rarely if ever get used, then I'll turn mine to whatever looks good.  I've had some really cool looking pens, but very difficult to write with.  But as a functional pen, they should be balanced and feel right in the hand.   But even then, it may feel perfect, and write beautifully, but if it looks weird, it won't be a "good pen".  Each style and kit is different, and you have to get a feel for it.  

On 4/14/2018 at 10:06 AM, Mark J said:

@Marmotjr you're back!  Awesome!  Hadn't seen any posts from you in a long bit.  I thought maybe you had wandered away from the forum. 

Missed your furry face.

OK, we return now to our conversation about pens.

Yessir, I did wander away for a bit. 

Working 60+ hours a week in a Millhouse, 'woodworking', burned me out, especially after pushing a bunch of Xmas projects out.  Got sick of that place, quit, and had trouble finding work again.  So being burned out, and depression kinda killed my passion for the craft, for a while.  Getting back into it now.  And now I'm working as a machinist running CNC lathes and mills, so the maker still lives within me, but I can enjoy my hobby without getting it crammed down my throat.