Powermatic 15HH planer problem.

lewisc

Any ideas? The belts flap around and then the machine shuts down by its self. Other times, it runs as usual. I tensioned the belts last week thinking it might solve it but no luck.

We don't have many Powermatic suppliers in Aus. The company it was bought from said the guy who deals with machine work is only in on Mondays so I'll have to wait for a bit to see what they say.

Tight on one side and loose on the other says the pulleys are not free to spin at the same speed. If the belts are not stretched and the machine is adjusted properly (obvious caveats), then I would be looking for something binding the motor or the cutter head. If there are lube points I would address that too. 

I would compare the belts carefully. This looks like a situation where matched belts would work better. Regular belts can vary just enough that after a little stretching & wear the difference could be significant.  I'm not a machinist and I've never worked on one of those planers so it's just a gut reaction.