Radial arm saw table/ideas

Hey everyone. Been a while since posted but, just got back from a long deployment and I'm ready to get back to it. Sooooo... I have a c re afstman radial arm saw 10" . And no "real" idea on where to start building tree he stand. I was wondering if anyone had any easy DIY type level of plans to help get this classic working for me. It is li tree really just like he square me tree al frame. It was free so, xant really complain there but, ang and all help in where to start and how to set up would begreat! Thanks! !

14 hours ago, Cody Bond Arellano said:

Hey everyone. Been a while since posted but, just got back from a long deployment and I'm ready to get back to it. Sooooo... I have a c re afstman radial arm saw 10" . And no "real" idea on where to start building tree he stand. I was wondering if anyone had any easy DIY type level of plans to help get this classic working for me. It is li tree really just like he square me tree al frame. It was free so, xant really complain there but, ang and all help in where to start and how to set up would begreat! Thanks! !

A lot of guys like them but I had nothing but grief trying to get that old Craftsman aligned and cutting right. If you decide to get rid of it, the manufacturer will give you $100. Emerson Electric, who made them for Sears, considers them a safety liability. After contacting them, they will send you a pre paid box to return the motor assembly and will pay you the hundred bucks for your trouble.You can put that toward a slightly less dangerous table saw or start saving up for a SawStop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had one of those for many years and have done a lot of work with it. Having said that, I also have a lot of respect for it. Misuse can result in disaster. I now have a table saw and use the RAS almost exclusively for cross cutting; much like a sliding miter saw.  Be careful!

To answer your question more directly, I think the easiest solution is to make a simple box from 3/4" ply. Make it so the saw table sits at counter top height and the box opening is facing you so that you can use the interior for shelving. Put doors on it if you wish. Screw some small blocks on the bottom for feet. Join the box together with glue and either biscuits or pocket hole screws.

• Thanks 1

I have one of those Craftsman 10" RAS, and also a 12" that I bought new in 1974.  The one from 1974 is the last one that's considered any good, and I can attest to the fact that it can do good work.  The 10" however, while it's good for what I use it for, I wouldn't recommend putting any time and effort building any kind of special base for it. 

My 12" is still on the base that I built for it the day I took it out of the box.  It's 6 feet long, out of bolted together 2x4's, with a changeable 3/4" Birch Plywood table in front of the fence, and has castors under it.  It cuts a dead accurate 90 degrees, with a clean cut.  I used it building houses for 33 years, that including anything from framing, to plumbing pipe, to building cabinets, and still use it now.

Thanks yall f ok r the input. I have been considering just trying to sell it or turn it in.... I've had it almost a year and haven't made one cut with it. Sooooo know it works but, just never got jazzed u look to use it I suppose. Perhaps it should just yet the $100 and call it a day....(?). Anyway, if Hanks again yall! Have a safe memorial day weekend.