Special thanks to Marc

I’m stuck in an airport right now, so I can’t post a picture, but last night/this morning I stayed in the shop till the wee hours building an outfeed table. My outfeed table is more of a cabinet style than what Marc built, but I still wanted to thank Marc. “Somebody Feed Me” was the first episode of Wood Whisperer I ever saw, and since seeing it I planned to build an outfeed table. I have been woodworking for going on 15 years now and I’ve never had an outfeed table. I’ve always gotten buy with jack-stands to catch the material coming out the back of my saw.

I can already tell that this table is going to pay huge dividends. I watched “Somebody Feed Me” about three times. Thanks Marc for all of the tips. I love the “Can do” project. Again, my outfeed table looks nothing like yours, but believe me I took a lot of what you did and applied it to my project. I’ll try to post a pic or two in about a week when I get back to my home state.

Thanks again, Marc.

I’m stuck in an airport right now, so I can’t post a picture, but last night/this morning I stayed in the shop till the wee hours building an outfeed table. My outfeed table is more of a cabinet style than what Marc built, but I still wanted to thank Marc. “Somebody Feed Me” was the first episode of Wood Whisperer I ever saw, and since seeing it I planned to build an outfeed table. I have been woodworking for going on 15 years now and I’ve never had an outfeed table. I’ve always gotten buy with jack-stands to catch the material coming out the back of my saw.

I can already tell that this table is going to pay huge dividends. I watched “Somebody Feed Me” about three times. Thanks Marc for all of the tips. I love the “Can do” project. Again, my outfeed table looks nothing like yours, but believe me I took a lot of what you did and applied it to my project. I’ll try to post a pic or two in about a week when I get back to my home state.

Thanks again, Marc.

I agree Chet. I posted a rambling comment on the video section that I won't copy to here. This website is my new favorite as well.

Please do post a picture or two.

I'm not Chet, and I think I posted a picture of this thing once before, but it was on the old forum and so it probably got lost somewhere along the way.

In any case, it does double duty as an outfeed table and a router table. The main carcase is particle board from the BORG, with a face frame made of nice stiff oak to resist racking. The top is MDF with plastic laminate (Formica) attached using contact cement. The router access door is held on by a couple of magnets (no hinges) so it comes off completely for relatively easy access to the router.

The top is supported by a 3 x 4 array of jack screws spaced about 12" apart. Next to each one of those is a bolt that holds the top down. You can see the hold down bolts in the picture. This arrangement makes it possible to independently adjust the elevation of the top by a small amount at each of the twelve positions. That in turn means that with enough careful fiddling with the screws, you can tweak the top until it's almost arbitrarily flat within the rectangle defined by the screws. This worked for me better than I ever imagined. Nobody cares if their outfeed table is flat, of course, but it's important for the router table function, and generally nice to have simply as a reference surface for assembly or whatever. There's more detail about this in my blog.

I guess the only other thing to note is that the whole cabinet is sitting on four leveling screws hidden inside the toe kick. They accommodate the uneven floor in my garage, and also let me adjust the top so it's just below the saw table.

-- Russ

PS: Is it "carcase" or "carcass" when you're talking about cabinets and not decaying animals?

post-685-0-68395400-1297119382_thumb.jpg

PS: Is it "carcase" or "carcass" when you're talking about cabinets and not decaying animals?

As far as carcase or carcass I have no idea. But I really like the router/outfeed table. What made you decide to make it so colorful? Did you set out to make it an outfeed/router table, or did you make it a router table and have an ah-ha moment?

Either way, nice job.

As far as carcase or carcass I have no idea. But I really like the router/outfeed table. What made you decide to make it so colorful? Did you set out to make it an outfeed/router table, or did you make it a router table and have an ah-ha moment?

Either way, nice job.

Thanks, Chet. Glad you like my table.

I'm one of those guys who tries to plan everything out as much as possible before actually starting. So I definitely had the dual function in mind from the beginning.

The colors thing got started a long time ago when I first put some french cleats in my shop. I wanted them to contrast with the walls, which are radioactive white. When I went to buy the paint, I couldn't pass up the color that I think was called "Outrageous Orange". The blue and the purple were sort of across the color wheel from the orange (a lady nearby told me that was a good idea), and there you have it.

As it turns out, three gallons of paint were way more than enough to do the french cleats, and I'm still trying to use it up on drawer fronts, tool holders, the lumber rack, the scrap bin, the cat, etc.

The end result demonstrates clearly why real men are almost never allowed to specify colors for anything except power tools and camo gear. Had LOML been along on that fateful trip to the paint store, "Orange", "Purple", and "Blue" would no doubt have been replaced with "Mocha Morning", "Oat Cake", and "Hunky Pool Boy", all of which would appear identical to your average clueless guy, who would immediately dispatch any charitable doubt with respect to said cluelessness with "Uh, they all look brown to me."

Actually, most people politely claim to like the colors when they see them. I have no idea what they're mumbling under their breath as they leave.

-- Russ

Marc, is there a chance that we can get video or photo updates of the new shop. Don't know if you've started yet. Would be really cool if we could see your thoughts on design and construction. Hope that doesn't throw too much wood on your pile.

Please do post a picture or two. Would love to see the modifications. When I get into the new shop, I will have to make a new one. And I am thinking a full cabinet system would be ideal as an outfeed table. Maybe now you can inspire me. :)

The end result demonstrates clearly why real men are almost never allowed to specify colors for anything except power tools and camo gear. Had LOML been along on that fateful trip to the paint store, "Orange", "Purple", and "Blue" would no doubt have been replaced with "Mocha Morning", "Oat Cake", and "Hunky Pool Boy", all of which would appear identical to your average clueless guy, who would immediately dispatch any charitable doubt with regard to said cluelessness with "Uh, they all look brown to me."

-- Russ

I used to work at a hardware store. We had a sign in the paint section that said "Husbands must have a signed note from their wives before buying custom paint colors". We put it up as a joke. You'd be surprised by how many husbands had the signed note or color cards that their wives initialed.

• Like 1

I used to work at a hardware store. We had a sign in the paint section that said "Husbands must have a signed note from their wives before buying custom paint colors". We put it up as a joke. You'd be surprised by how many husbands had the signed note or color cards that their wives initialed.

this is hilarious...i love it!