Clamps

While this does seem like the most applicable board for this, sorry if its not. Anyway, I have some extra money laying around and wish to expand my clamp collection, which at the moment is rather puny. Currently I have 2 48" F style, 3 24" F style, 1 18" F style, 2 12" crap quick clamps, and 1 6" good quick clamp. I was looking on rockler and they have 2 24" and 2 40" parallel clamps by Irwin for $99. I am curious to if these clamps are very good, and if for the quality its a good deal. I know many prefer the Jet clamps, but for $38 and $47 a pop for these sizes I would end up paying $70 more for them. Also why is it on amazon the same combo, in Jet clamps, is listed as $300?

I just picked up some jorgensen parallel clamps @ home depot. Menards had them on sale for 39 bucks and home depot will beat any advertised sale price by 10% so there you go! Im VERY happy with these clamps so far. And by the way i have heard some not so good reviews on the irwins. I recomend going to the woodcraft store near you and play with them I think you will soon find out why.

I have broken a couple of the Jorgy clamps. The pot metal mechanism snapped. Just an FYI. This was about ten years ago, so they may have fixed the problem. My problem is that once bitten...

THey have fixed that.. An easy way to tell is if the clamping mechanism is silver, leave it alone. If it is black it is good. I have a ton of these clamps. I have put some serious force on them too. I have not broken a single one. I really like them. I would prefer the jets, but these were the right price. As for the Irwins, you have to start somewhere. If this is what you can afford, adn they will help you do what you are trying to do, then go for it. FWW did a review on parallel clamps a while back. Not sure what it said about the Irwins.. Look it up..

I think this topic has been covered before someplace here. I have a bunch of Jorgensen parallel jaw clamps and I like them a lot. The information about the black mechanism is correct. Look for that.

Personally I prefer the new Bessey K-bodys to anything else out there. Most of what I make falls under the general category of cabinets so I really appreciate their new mar-free larger clamping surfaces as well as the bar guides that come with them. The bar guides seemed a little gimmicky before I tried them, but holy cow, I was impressed at how well they work to keep the sides of my cabinets parallel.

I hear lots of people love the Jets but I don’t buy them because they are made in China so I cannot comment. I can comment on the parallel clamps by Irwin. I got some as a gift and ended up returning them because they were visibly out of parallel. That makes them almost useless for cabinet making. You might have better luck, or you might be able to sort through some by hand, but I was not happy with the Irwin versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Clamps are like women. There are all different sizes, colors and brands. We all have our preferences to what we like. But we eventually settle on one that we like the most. Well some of us settle on one anyway, and some never seem to settle but contintue to try them all out. That's fine too. But i think there's one thing we'll all agree on. We just can't get along without them.

Clamps are like women. There are all different sizes, colors and brands. We all have our preferences to what we like. But we eventually settle on one that we like the most. Well some of us settle on one anyway, and some never seem to settle but contintue to try them all out. That's fine too. But i think there's one thing we'll all agree on. We just can't get along without them.

I've seen guys who try to get along without them. It seems their hands and forearms are always exhausted. ... you know, from holding the work pieces together while the glue dries...

I think that you nailed that one right on the head there Timmy!!!

I'll add in another vote for the Jorgensen's @ HD, I've had good success with mine without any complaints. Any good quality parallel clamp is going to cost money, so you'll definitely want to avoid the cheaper ones. Fine Woodworking did a good review of parallel clamps about a year ago and that's what I based my decision off of.