Please Help with refinishing table gone wrong

Alyssa

I need some help!  I began the steps to refinish my kitchen table. Everything seemed to start out great.  I used Klean Stripper and removed the finish then lightly sanded my table and then wiped with a tack cloth.  The next day I applied a wood conditioner and let dry.  It looked as if I didn’t saturate the wood like the directions said so I applied again and let dry.  The following day I proceeded to stain with an oil base stain.  Waited 2 hours and applied a second coat of stain.  I was noticing the stain was not really taking to the wood so I let the 3rd coat sit for a while before wiping but still did not take to the wood.  Come to read up I think the problem was that I was suppose to stain after I conditioned the wood and not wait 24 plus hours to. So my question is HOW DO I REMOVE THE STAIN AND START FROM THE BEGINING?   I started to sand the table last night and made a mess.  Clogged tons of sandpaper and I think I sanded parts of the table too much and their is still stain to remove.  Can I put stripper on at this point?

Hi Alyssa, welcome to the forum. 

Can you post a picture? 

You could try picking up a cabinet scraper and work out how to put an edge on it to scrape away the stain. The stain might also need a lot more time to cure before sanding it. I don't use stains much so hopefully some more experienced members can chime in.

Lifting strains isn't in my wheel house as I don't normally use them, but you are right about it not being ready to sand. If it's clogging your paper, it's too moist or you are getting some finish still 

It sounds to me like you probably didn't get all the original finish off before staining or conditioning. 

Yes, re-strip and use steel wool and scrub with the grain. Probably take 2 applications. Then wash the wood down good with mineral spirits to rid the stripper residue. Let dry a few days.

Question -- what wood is the table made of? Perhaps no need for a pre-conditioner. 

-Ace-