laguna fusion table saw wont start!

ELzackO

I have a laguna fusion table saw that just wont start. its not the thermal cut off switch (it isnt pushed out, no reaction when i press it).

i bought it off offer up, with the knowledge that it didnt work. was just hoping that someone could give me some insight into where to start looking for defects. there are no visible issues with the power cord and connecting cable. definitely have power (planer and lights ran off of same outlet with no issues) hoping i get to keep this guy.

any help is appreciated

Does it make a sound when you turn on the power switch or does it trip the breaker? Do you have a multimeter? Are you comfortable poking and prodding with electrical stuff?

First thought is, Is the motor getting power? If yes trouble shoot why the AC motor isn't working. If it's not trouble shoot where the power is getting lost. Probably the switch. If switch replace switch if not switch try and find a break in the cable.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/motors-drives-pumps-compressors/centrifugal-thermal-and-capacitor-switches-cause-most-single-phase-motor-malfunctions

Fluke makes good stuff i doubt they'll give bad advice on troubleshooting a motor. From my brief read it all seems sound.

Either have to replace the motor if it's bad or replace the part that is causing failure. Hope that it's the capacitor or the centrifugal switch.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:51 AM, Chestnut said:

Does it make a sound when you turn on the power switch or does it trip the breaker? Do you have a multimeter? Are you comfortable poking and prodding with electrical stuff?

First thought is, Is the motor getting power? If yes trouble shoot why the AC motor isn't working. If it's not trouble shoot where the power is getting lost. Probably the switch. If switch replace switch if not switch try and find a break in the cable.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/motors-drives-pumps-compressors/centrifugal-thermal-and-capacitor-switches-cause-most-single-phase-motor-malfunctions

Fluke makes good stuff i doubt they'll give bad advice on troubleshooting a motor. From my brief read it all seems sound.

Either have to replace the motor if it's bad or replace the part that is causing failure. Hope that it's the capacitor or the centrifugal switch.

I'm yeah... So of that.

Well done Chesty.

• 1 year later...

So I know this is an old topic but I'm sort of in the same boat but with a couple years of hair pulling to add to the conversation. It's most likely the run capacitor as that's what constantly capping out on my Fusion table saw. I've had Laguna send out one start capacitor that didn't help, followed by a run capacitor that I insisted to them was the issue after a whole bunch of research and a complete rebuild of the motor. The run capacitor worked like a charm for about 6 months before it crapped out again. 

I really like the saw (in that fresh out of the first screening of Phantom Menace kind of way) but the capacitors in the motor are absolute crap. The cherry on top is that it is really difficult to find a replacement that isn't provided by Laguna. They are smaller than just about every similarly rated capacitor I can find. Grainger, Northern Tool, Amazon. No one carries 300uF run capacitors. 370 is the closest and their slightly too large for the housing on the side of the motor. One step smaller to 270 and you're looking at an under powered capacitor. 

I'm at the point now where I'm considering just replacing the entire motor assembly. I tried looking at that option about a year ago and couldn't figure out how to buy one that had the proper motor mount on it. Super frustrating. 

Thanks for letting me complain. 

Run caps are usually under 100uF and starts caps are above 200uF. The start cap has to shut off after 2/3 rotational speed is reached and this usually involves a centrifugal switch inside the back of the motor. Pull the fan housing, fan and end cover off the motor and clean off contact points with a dollar bill (high lint content), never use sandpapers. Check with a meter if you have one. I don't usually work on Laguna as these are considered residential but the concept is the same. If the mounting is not the same you can buy caps with mounting through Zoro.com

What is the warranty status of the saw? Even if expired, it might be worth talking to Laguna about a motor replacement, since there is a history of trouble with it.

Not sure what the current state of their customer service is. They seem to oscillate between pretty good & horrible.

• 3 weeks later...