Outdoor film finish

Martin-IT

Hi,

I have a live edge hard maple counter by the hot tub outside.

I have used spar varnish on chain saw carving which lasted very well.

Since it is a flat piece and many youtuber were using penofin, I decided to give it a try.

Both side and the underside still look like new after 3 years but the top had cracked/peeled and water was getting to the wood.

What is worth the extra $ for penofin ? I doubt it at this point.

I used a chemical stripper on the top only and sanded it.

I have other piece, in teak or eucalyptus which I used Cabot Australian Timber Oil (the real stuff, not the blue can cover), which lasted fine, but they are not 12 months a year outside.

It is easy to fix up, just apply a new coat every year or two, depending how long they were outside.

The hot tub counter stay outside, from -30 to 90, with no coverage on top, exposed to rain-show and the sun.

It did last 2 years before the peeling started, is it to be expected ?

Any suggestion which could be easier to re-finish ?

I used to use the Australian Timber Oil product on the tree house I built (Chicago area; since taken down).  It looked great, but really needed to be re-applied every year.  

I am not knowledgeable about other products, but there has to be something more durable out there.

Maple not being a particularly weather-resistant species, and this piece being exposed year-round, I'd go a different route.

Consider coating it with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin, like you would for a cedar strip canoe. 

You may still need to sand and recoat with some sort of film finish occasionally, but the glass should keep the wood from damage.

What would be a product with polyester resin ?

I used oil based product in the past, but most are not available anymore.

As I mentioned before, the challenge is the top/flat part.

If I had to redo it again, I would have purposely made the top convex, to help with the water not staying on it.

I am not sure, if it is the sun or water resting on it which is causing the most damage.

All vertical edge or the under side are still looking like new.

Martin