Which Lathe Chuck

legenddc

I searched the forum and couldn't find much. What lathe chucks does everyone recommend? I have the 10"x18" Harbor Freight lathe so I'm not looking to turn massive bowls.

I saw Rockler has the Nova G3 kit on sale for $150 and I saw someone here recommended the Barracuda one. Does it matter or are they all good enough and I'll eventually end up with multiples anyway? What should one look for in a lathe chuck?

I have two Super Nova 2 chucks and an assortment of jaws from 25mm to 130mm, and Cole jaws.  I have no complaints.  It's a good product and I would buy it again. Vicmark and Oneway are also brands with loyal followings.  I am not familiar with Baracuda.  Is that Penn States house brand?  I have also seen a newcomer sold under the Record brand name.  This appears to be a Nova knock off.

The Nova products are frequently packaged in sets so you can get a few different jaw sets at a good price.  I have a varriety of jaws to cover a range of holding problems for my work.  Assuming you're buying just one set of jaws right now, be sure to consider the best size for what you're going to be turning. 

What kind of turning do you do most?

Honestly, not much. I got a lathe about a month before we had our second kid and I've spent so little time wood working over the last year.

I would like to turn some bowls and trees. Maybe some of the turning kits for ice scream scoops, etc. but mostly bowls and trees.

I bought the G3 kit on a similar deal from Woodcraft. In addition to a faceplate, live center, spur, and pen mandrel, it has covered all of my needs on a midi lathe. I have yet to use all of the included jaws, but it seems to be a solid kit. I have been very happy with it. 

I have turned some bowls, knobs, pens, and some random other things with it. 

Whatever chuck you get, make sure it has a variety of jaws available so you can expand later. 

And from the department of don't do this... When buying additional jaws, pay attention to the ID/OD ranges, I have a small gap in the range of sizes my jaws can handle, and I always make a tenon/mortise that doesn't fit either!