Laguna 8” jointer?

Gary S

Hey all! 

I’ve been woodworking for 2 years now Im looking to get my first jointer. I’ve searched and search on Craigslist but nothing that is in decent shape has come up. Everything is rusted out or missing parts. My budget is roughly $2k and I’ve been looking at the laguna 8” wedge bed but there aren’t really any reviews or much of anything online anywhere about it. I got a Woodcraft “Black Friday Sale” flyer in the mail where they are offering 10% off in-store laguna machinery and accessories purchases. I haven’t checked with my local store yet if this is actually true though. But if it’s true, I want to pull the trigger and get it but since there aren’t many reviews on it I’m a little hesitant. In any of the forums about laguna jointers everyone says get the grizzly 8” model because it’s cheaper but I really don’t want to wait months for it since it’s backordered. Does anyone have a laguna jointer or have any thoughts on it? I know the customer service can be kinda spotty. But other than that does anyone know anything about it? I’m just looking for a little help or advice. 

I don't know where you are at but there is a Mint PJ882 for sale in Minneapolis.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/d/powermatic-jointer-8-mobile/6750171332.html

I feel like laguna is priced closer to the powermatics and if it were me i'd not take the change and i'd just get the PJ882 new or the wedge bed which i think is the 60c?

Ok nix the pj882 ... dang chineesse tarriffs the strait bladed version used to be $2200 10% on black friday is under $2k.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

if it were me i'd not take the change and i'd just get the PJ882 new

I was also looking at that one. It’s my plan b if I didn’t hear anything about the laguna. Maybe I should just go with that one instead. 

Im in Seattle. There is a pj882HH for $2300 on Craigslist here from a surplus dealer. Only downside is there charging tax so it comes out to like $2700. Still cheaper than the factory, but kinda stretching my budget. 

7 minutes ago, Gary S said:

I was also looking at that one. It’s my plan b if I didn’t hear anything about the laguna. Maybe I should just go with that one instead. 

Im in Seattle. There is a pj882HH for $2300 on Craigslist here from a surplus dealer. Only downside is there charging tax so it comes out to like $2700. Still cheaper than the factory, but kinda stretching my budget. 

Powermatic is doing blak friday sales 10% off so the new one should be$2360 so that CL jointer is not really a deal at all especially if you have to pay tax.

I'd consider this https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jointers/powermatic-60hh-8-inch-jointer-1610086k

or this https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jointers/powermatic-60c-8-inch-jointer-1610084k

and here is the Pj882 that will be $2360 with free shipping to WA. https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jointers/powermatic-1610079-pj882-parallelogram-jointer

I'd wait the shipping time to save tax persoanlly and then it' come to my house instead of having to figure out how to unload it from a trailer myself.

22 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'd wait the shipping time to save tax persoanlly and then it' come to my house instead of having to figure out how to unload it from a trailer myself.

I’ve never ordered anything from acme tools so I never realized they didn’t have sales tax! 

I think I’ll end up doing that then and just get the PJ882 instead of gambling with the laguna. 

I appreciate your help Chestnut!! 

I didn't even know that Laguna made jointers.   I've never heard anyone say anything about one, so there must not be many owners, or at least, not posting on forums.   I went to look, and that switch location wouldn't suit me.  I often set the board on the infeed table, and then turn the machine on.

7 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I didn't even know that Laguna made jointers

The only reason I knew they made them was becasie it came up on Woodcraft’s website when I was window shopping at the laguna bandsaw earlier this year. But yea, there is nothing anywhere about it. It’s strange. 

9 minutes ago, Tom King said:

If I was there, I'd buy that 20"

Oh I’ve been eyeballing that ever since it was posted. I wish I could afford it. 

I saw the jointer/planer combo too but just passed it cuzI’ve always heard bad things about the jet jointer/planer combo and figured it wasn’t worth the buy?