Multi-part flag pole

Country Wood Turner

I have to make a 9 ft flag pole out of 1.5 in maple.

The pole has to fit in a carrying bag and my customer wants it to break down into 3 pieces that screw together.

I have tried a few methods to connect the pole without success. Every time any pressure is brought to bear on a joint, the dowel cracks.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Get some copper, brass or aluminum tubing the diameter you like. Offset the screw joint about  4" into the tubing. So a 8" section of tubing should reinforce the joint nicely. A little epoxy and maybe a countersunk screw or 2 will stabilize the fixed end. I imagine the dowel screw will need to be accurately centered.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I found a solution by using the Beall Wood Threader.

I made the threads on the male side easily and they look great.

The taping of the threaded hole on the female side was another story. I was tapping g into end grain which, by Beall's own admission does not work very well. What I found however was that while the tapping did not produce crisp threads, it did produce usable threads. Seeing that they will be invisible in most cases  I decided to use them. I also poured wood stabilizer into the hole and allowed it to coat the threads. 

After about 10 minutes I poured out the excess stabilizer and allowed it to dry.

This gave me a very acceptable join.

• Like 2