Smoothing Plane sizes

MHD

Well, it happened. I picked up a low angle block plane and a #4, both the new Stanley Sweethearts. This was a little over a year ago, to help augment joinery and smooth stock off the power side of the shop. I got bit and somehow or other, I suddenly have a collection of mostly antique planes that need some TLC, one of which is a Millers Falls #8 (Stanley #3). I cleaned it up and put it and the #4 head to head to settle the question in my head over which is a better smoother, and after a little adjustment, that #3 is taking these fantastically thin shavings. Fair enough, the #3 is going to take the #4's place as my go-to smoother.

All this got me thinking... From what I've read, it seems like everybody prefers a certain size of smoother. I will eventually ditch this #4, and I'm wondering if those of you who use a #3 find any use for a #4 or particularly a #4-1/2. My estimation is that a #3 and a #4-1/2 would make a good pair. It seems to me that the nearly twice as wide blade on the #4-1/2 would make larger stock take half as long to smooth, but give less of that "tactile" response I notice in this lighter #3. 

What say you? Do you have a single smoother for all uses, or two or more? What's your reasoning? I'm not looking for advice as much as a little philosophy and discussion on smoothers in general.

I have a 3, 4, 5 I use my WR #5 a lot, second would be my LN #4, and occasionally my LN #3, but hey it looks really nice lol. I had a WR 4 1/2 that I sold when I got the LN #4 and haven't missed it. Like a lot of things it really depends what is comfortable in your hands, what you learned on, etc. People swear by BU planes I have found they are not for me, I have one that sees little use.

I have the same issue with big hands. That's probably why I dragged my feet for so long to put some love into the #3. I did notice a tendency to put too much pressure on the side of the iron with my index finger stretched out, but that was easy enough to fix by not giving the thing a death grip and putting a little more tension on the lever cap. I actually feel like I've got a little more control with the #3 over the #4, but I think that has to do with an awkward tote on the Stanley.

Chestnut, I appreciate the link. I read that thread shortly before posting, and it seemed to me that the discussion was more geared at bedding and bevel angles. That was more or less my impetus to post. Assuming standard BD and frog angles, I'm mostly curious if it's a grip issue for people or if they find different uses for the 3 more common smoothers I see being discussed.

Pkinneb, I've also been very happy with a WR #5. I picked that up along with a WR #7, from a local guy who received as a gift from family... Meanwhile his shop looks like a LN catalog. Haven't taken the time to set up the #7 yet but the #5 is a champ.

• Like 1