Comments on design

shanesmith80

I am building a cabinet/ side board and would like peoples input on the basic design. The legs are 50mm square and rails/stiles 40mm square with a rebate cut for shelf panels and mortise and tenoned into legs.

Dividers and shelves will be veneered ply the rest solid wood.

Have I made it strong enough or to beefy?

Does it look like its in the right proportion?

I've been staring at it too long and need a perspective from some fresh eyes.

Thanks

Shane

coffee.skp

I think it looks pretty good. I like rails/stiles on the smaller side; I think they look more elegant that way.

Since you are using veneered ply for the shelf sections, you'll gain a lot of strength by gluing them into the rebates.

For fun in SketchUp, try varying the thickness of the rails. For example, 60mm for the top rail, 50mm for the middle rail, 40mm for the bottom rail. Might make for an interesting effect. Panel doors are often made with the 'rails' (wide rails in this case) being wider at the bottom than the top, but then tables tend to have a wider rail piece just below the top (the apron piece). Not saying it will be better, but if you have SU skilz (I don't...), you could tinker with it.

Only other consideration, I don't see a measurement on the top's overhang. In the SU file, it doesn't look to overhang much. It also looks pretty thin compared to the rest. What's the dimensions of the top?

Thanks Paul

The top will be minimum 20mm thick and have a 20mm over hang all round.

I will try and play with the different sizes and see how it looks.

A quick what its for, mainly to hold a rather large heavy coffee machine on top and one shelf for a mixer, also quite heavy. Just want to make sure its strong enough.

cheers

Since there is no back to it (that I can see in the picture), you'd normally have to worry about racking. But the joinery you showed on the middle section will greatly limit racking.

20mm isn't bad for the top surface. You can give it more "thickness" by bevel cutting the entire outside edge to 8-10º off vertical.

"cheers n beers" :)