Applying Tung Oil

Peter Anderson

When applying the second coat of Lee Valley polymerized Tung Oil Sealer on a Cherry Table i'm working on, I noticed there were little clear dots on the surface. I couldn't rub them out so I continued with the second coat hoping that when I wiped off the excess these dots would disappear. Nope. Any advise ? I did rub the surface after each coat to get the access off. and 2nd and 3rd rub downs after each coat.

I'm reiterating to make sure I have it correct - you're in the process of applying a Tung Oil *Sealer* which means you've already applied the Tung Oil?  Or is this a polymerized sealer that contains Tung Oil?  And, in either case, you're doing the second coat, correct?

What this says to me, in either case, is that you didn't allow enough time between coats for the 1st coat to properly absorb and dry.  The dots you're seeing, in my opinion, is off-gassing from your first coat.  Oil finishes need to be thoroughly dry in or for the inherent gases to vaporize or they will show up as bubbles under subsequent coats.

• Thanks 1

Maybe it's just me. But I don't understand the use of Tung oil. It's smelly, takes forever to be fully dry, doesn't give a better finish than say, Danish oil, with a poly top coat and a couple of other oil finishes, that all dry quicker and the smell is not as nasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Byrdie : That is a good explanation, that could vary well be it. Since posting above I have Sanded/scrubbed the top with extra fine steel wool to remove the clear dots will will give it one last coat of tung oil and will leave it for 48 hours before it gets the polyurethane.

RichardA: There is many opinions on which oil to use, however this is the one that was chosen. lol

27 minutes ago, Peter Anderson said:

Byrdie : That is a good explanation, that could vary well be it. Since posting above I have Sanded/scrubbed the top with extra fine steel wool to remove the clear dots will will give it one last coat of tung oil and will leave it for 48 hours before it gets the polyurethane.

RichardA: There is many opinions on which oil to use, however this is the one that was chosen. lol

If you can afford the time, give it at least a week before top coating with poly. True oil finishes may dry to the touch in a day or so, but require much longer to fully cure.

• Like 2