Bandsaw Blades Cutting Curves

Mark J

So I want to cut moderate curves (1 or 2" radius) in very thick (>4") stock on the bandsaw.  I am looking to buy a 1/4" blade as I think that is thin enough to negotiate any curves I plan to be cutting.  Most makers sell a 1/4" with 6 TPI which seems a bit much for 4 to 6" stock.  Do you think I should be going for a smaller pitch blade?  There are a few with 4 TPI.  

6tpi in 6" is like 3TPI in 12" (I know it's not exactly the same but it's similar) So you could probably get away with 6 tpi. 4tpi would cut faster with less feed pressure at the cost of more cleanup. Personally I've done the 6tpi with less cleanup, as i hate sanding with the spindle sander.

Yeah probably, charts are often created by nerds with pocket protectors that like to live in theoretical environments, i know this because I'm that guy from time to time. I'm sure the charts say i should be using a 1 tpi blade for a 12" resaw but the reality is that blade doesn't exist in 1/2" for a 14" saw. I know that 3 TPI works for my thick 10-12" resaws so i extrapolate.

Keep in mind most of that information is for resawing when you want the blade to track perfectly strait. When you are curve cutting a lot of that goes out the window because you generally aren't feeding as hard and as fast. Also the result of using a finer pitched blade is drive and when you are cutting a curve you can think of it as controlled band saw blade drift of sorts. Also they are guidelines and meant as a starting place.

• Like 1