underestimating cedar movement

Matt Truiano

i made your typical cooler stand out of cedar. to right, theres a table top area with an inset lid that opens up to storage inside. i left the lid 3/16" smaller than the opening to allow for wood moment.  Boy was that not enough. what was a sloppy lid in the sunshine, is a lid so tight that the entire unit lifts up when trying to lift the lid after it rains because it gets so tight. 

i have videos to show but this forum doesn't allow video files. 

the outside of the stand is coated in 4 coats of water based poly but all the insides are left unfinished. Partly because of laziness. partly because i wanted to preserve the smell of the natural cedar. I am to assume this is the reason why it expands so much? would sealing both sides of the wood prevent this?

Applying a finish will only slow the movement of moisture, not stop it. It also helps to keep the wood from cupping from uneven moisture gain/loss. I think the only thing to do here is to just take some off the edges of the lid to provide more clearance.

On the other hand, I made Mark's "not so rustic" table from Western Red Cedar, finished first with clear epoxy sealer then with varnish, and after a couple of winters on the back deck (under a roof) have had no problems from wood movement.  Not quite the same application, and our climates might be different (Idaho mountains for me.)  I'd at least try completing the finish.