Bolt info

collinb

Earlier this Spring I also picked up (to keep) an old Stanley 60 1/2. Makes a nice slightly narrower companion to the Record 060 1/2. But it is missing the top screw.  What thread are these? Some of Stanley's stuff is odd and looking it up takes you through a collector's maze rather than a user's reference.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Collin, take the mating piece to any good hardware store like your local Ace if you’re fortunate enough to still have one and I bet they can pair you up. Most of the folks at HD and Lowe’s probably worked at Waffle House last week and don’t have a clue. 

I should be so .... practical. :-)

We've a good local hardware store that does these things well.  Tx.

A specialty fastener store may also be a good choice. Fastenal, Midwest Bolt and Screw, etc. They will likely have a better selection of head type and lengths, especially if it is a fine thread.

The chain of ace dealers I worked for had a decent fastener selection, but choices got pretty slim once you got to the more specialty or less popular thread types. Although, the Ace should be plenty good if you just want to identify the thread type and then order a more suitable item online. 

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

A specialty fastener store may also be a good choice. Fastenal, Midwest Bolt and Screw, etc. They will likely have a better selection of head type and lengths, especially if it is a fine thread.

The chain of ace dealers I worked for had a decent fastener selection, but choices got pretty slim once you got to the more specialty or less popular thread types. Although, the Ace should be plenty good if you just want to identify the thread type and then order a more suitable item online. 

We have Roush Hardware, a local chain that has excellent service and selection.

If they don't have it then it's off to Fastenal.

• Like 1