just for fun-shower chair

EddieHagler

I just had to assemble a shower chair for my wife. It made me think... If I were to make one from scratch how would I do that?

So what do you think? What kind of wood? what kind of design?

A friend of mine used Ironwood instead of stone or another man made material for the seat in his steam shower. I would think an Ironwood chair with epoxied joints would hold up well. Btw, my buddy did his entire 1/2 wrap deck in Ironwood. He went through a lot of saw blades, but it's beautiful and impervious!

A friend of mine used Ironwood instead of stone or another man made material for the seat in his steam shower. I would think an Ironwood chair with epoxied joints would hold up well. Btw, my buddy did his entire 1/2 wrap deck in Ironwood. He went through a lot of saw blades, but it's beautiful and impervious!

My lord what did he spend on that deck!?!

My lord what did he spend on that deck!?!

He builds houses (mansions) on Mercer Island in the Seattle area, so has done very well for himself. I seem to remember that he had to wait a long time for his shipment to clear customs. So, he must've bought directly from an overseas distributor.

well the strength of the chair would be in direct proportion to how much fun you are goin to have in the shower!!

The chair is a hadicap aid. My wife just had knee surgery and requires a shower chair during her recovery.

I was just trying to think If I were going to build one from some kind of wood, how would I design it and what kind of wood and finish would be able to stand up to being in a shower.

Japanese Ofuro (those deep bathtubs) are made of unfinished Hinoki wood, which is a close relative to Japanese Cypress. Even domestic Cypress is highly rot and fungus resistant. In the case of Ofuro, the warm bathwater is kept in the tub all evening then overnight with the water used to wash clothes the next day so 3/4 of a day it is holding water. That would seem to work in a shower.

So, my vote is unfinished Cypress. Make it hold itself mostly together mechanically with cross-lap joints (like kumiko in shoji... or like the cardboard dividers in wine boxes cool.gif) Lock it all in place with stainless steel screws or brass screws, if they aren't holding significant weight.

The unfinished Hinoki and Japanese Cypress have a nicer feel when they are unfinished. At least my back and butt thought so.