Hammer Motor Capacitors

JasonS

TLDR: I need 2 capacitors for my jointer/planer but they're $49 each from Felder. Where do I even start looking for capacitors this size?

So I finally had the chance to tear into the Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer I bought almost 2 years ago. It was in a friends garage until May when we moved into the new house. It wasn't running when I got it, but my friend found a loose wire, reconnected it and it started right up. BUT, it only ran intermittently. He never could figure out why. I got it to start as long as I held the power button; after that it'd shut down. It was also making an awful squealing sound. I'm thinking bearings of course. So I put in a service call to Felder and talked to a tech this morning. Of course it started up and stayed running.  :rolleyes: He gave me some ideas and a couple schematics so I got to it.

I got the planer drive wheel off and took a look inside but had to clean it out first. Then I noticed the capacitors were just sort of sitting there, loose. I think the tech at the school I bought it from was just done with trying to get it to run (he told me his boss just wanted it gone) and forgot to settle everything back - or didn't bother. Long story short, the loose capacitors were rubbing against the drive belt making an awful squealing sound. The belt was cutting into the capacitor body and had already worn through the wire jacketing and into the copper of one of the capacitor wires and was almost through the second.

Felder has the capacitors but they're $49 each and I need both. That seems a tad steep. Even the tech recommended I try elsewhere first. I have no idea how to read the info on the capacitors and I have no idea where to start looking for them anyway. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

uNh3HOO6Qa+zJvs5zJjuHg.jpg

https://www.capacitorindustries.com/products/rpn3f406/

This isn't the exact same, but pretty close. Not sure what connectors yours has. You may be able to send your pic or read off the data to the company linked above and they could tell you if it would work. It’s a bit cheaper, but for a few more bucks I’d be tempted to go through Felder to be sure it’s the right one. If you go much cheaper you run the risk of them going bad with not much runtime, in which case you’re spending more time and money than going with the ones from Felder. 

7 minutes ago, JasonS said:

Well, I ordered the capacitors from Felder. The tech insists they're sold separately so we'll see what shows up. If I get 2 pairs I'll be on the phone with Felder about it.

Interesting! Full disclosure mine is 12ish years old not sure if that matters but none the less report back once you get them.

I know. What irks me is that the techs don;t know what they're selling. When I was doing tech support for Northern Tool (lo these many years ago) I knew what I was sending people. If a customer had a question and I wasn't sure of the answer I found out. I may keep the spares, I may insist on a call tag. These aren't cheap and no supplier I've communicated with so far has an equivalent cap.

By the way, where abouts in MN are you? I grew up in St Louis Park and lived in Cities until I moved east.

1 hour ago, JasonS said:

I know. What irks me is that the techs don;t know what they're selling. When I was doing tech support for Northern Tool (lo these many years ago) I knew what I was sending people. If a customer had a question and I wasn't sure of the answer I found out. I may keep the spares, I may insist on a call tag. These aren't cheap and no supplier I've communicated with so far has an equivalent cap.

By the way, where abouts in MN are you? I grew up in St Louis Park and lived in Cities until I moved east.

Yeah I thought the same thing but in my case I would have had to pay shipping so I figured may as well keep them as a spare.

I grew up in Inver Grove Heights now we are in Zimmerman.

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, pkinneb said:

Yeah I thought the same thing but in my case I would have had to pay shipping so I figured may as well keep them as a spare.

I grew up in Inver Grove Heights now we are in Zimmerman.

@pkinneb Sorry to ressurect a slightly older thread, but my 2007 vintage A3-31 needs new caps and I'm curious if you happen to know what the Felder part number was on your cap set? Might save me some time or help me validate Felder's recommendations here in Canada. Their service is pretty random from really great to absolutely atrocious in my experience. 

I've included my unit plate for posterity. 

IMG_1852.JPG

2 hours ago, cstephens said:

@pkinneb Sorry to ressurect a slightly older thread, but my 2007 vintage A3-31 needs new caps and I'm curious if you happen to know what the Felder part number was on your cap set? Might save me some time or help me validate Felder's recommendations here in Canada. Their service is pretty random from really great to absolutely atrocious in my experience. 

I've included my unit plate for posterity. 

IMG_1852.JPG

I should as I still have the spare set. I am leaving now but when I get back this afternoon I will pop out to the shop and see what I can find and post it here.

18 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I should as I still have the spare set. I am leaving now but when I get back this afternoon I will pop out to the shop and see what I can find and post it here.

Wife wasn't ready so had time now, here you go:

This is what was on the pkg

44735265_JPCap1.jpg.da4383f7be0f48aa7ebedffc3257d5fc.jpg

This is the actual capacitor set. FWIW one set includes both capacitors i did not realize this and that's how I ended up with a spare set. They are actually wired together.

1667095401_JPCap2.jpg.1838864b3d456249db3adad59890ae2d.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, pkinneb said:

Wife wasn't ready so had time now, here you go:

This is what was on the pkg

44735265_JPCap1.jpg.da4383f7be0f48aa7ebedffc3257d5fc.jpg

This is the actual capacitor set. FWIW one set includes both capacitors i did not realize this and that's how I ended up with a spare set. They are actually wired together.

1667095401_JPCap2.jpg.1838864b3d456249db3adad59890ae2d.jpg

Here's the funny part: Felder in Canada has quoted me for 2 units of x 222KR 40uf capacitors at   $35 CDN each (about 27 USD). The question I have is: are they going to send me 2 capacitors total, or 2 x 2 cap kits. LOL. Only one way to find out. :)

1 hour ago, cstephens said:

Here's the funny part: Felder in Canada has quoted me for 2 units of x 222KR 40uf capacitors at   $35 CDN each (about 27 USD). The question I have is: are they going to send me 2 capacitors total, or 2 x 2 cap kits. LOL. Only one way to find out. :)

Based on mine and others experience I can almost guarantee you it will be two kits when only one is needed. Best of luck, worst case you end up with a spare set like me and others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a little late to the party, but this topic is of interest to me.  My A3-31, relatively new and still under warranty, stopped running.  I called Felder and describe what happened and the tech figures it's the capacitors and sent them to me.  They look slightly larger than the originals and are not wired together.  My question:  How hard is it to swap these items out?  There doesn't look like a lot of room for my sausage-like fingers to maneuver.  I haven't touched them yet, maybe it gets roomier when I remove the faulty ones.  Any tips before I start the operation?  TIA.  Mark