Rikon 70-800 carbide tools

JohnG

Can anyone sway me toward or away from these? Woodcraft has them on sale right now.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon-four-piece-turning-system-with-carbide-inserts

I know nothing about carbide turning tools. I do know that sometimes I want to do a turning project without having to do a lot of sharpening. That usually ends up in me not turning anything. :ph34r:

I like the idea of having one handle with interchangeable tools instead of spending $100+ on each. 

Couple basic questions:

Can any brand carbide cutter be used or are they all proprietary?

Can any shape cutter be installed on each tool shaft? Or are is there a specific tool shaft for each shape cutter? (Round cutter only fits on round cutter shaft)

I have no personal experience with them, but I've seen it.  Seem OK.  Might be a good solution for what you describe.

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

Can any brand carbide cutter be used or are they all proprietary?

More proprietary than not, although some may be interchangeable.  Look at AZ Carbide for replacements at a better price.  

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

Can any shape cutter be installed on each tool shaft?

Typically it's a specfic shaft for a specfic cutter.  But I don't know how the Rikon works.  

I got to play with the tools today. I wasn’t doing any serious turning, just testing it out on a scrap, but it was a pleasure to use. 
The cutters (round, square, diamond) all fit on any of the three included tool shafts. I plan to take them into Woodcraft soon and see if some of the other brand and shape cutters will also fit. the cutters each have a dimple in them to keep track of what cutting edges you have used. 
the handle has a good bit of heft to it so it doesn’t feel like a catch will rip it out of your hands.

Swapping tool shafts is quick and easy, Nd they solidly lock into place. Time will tell if they will work themselves loose, but I don’t predict that will be an issue. 

• Like 2