Door Panel Help

adamnolen

Well, I've reached a crucial point in my nightstand project. I chose to make the door panels out of curly maple to help this piece pop. I am running into a VERY tough decision though. When I run the grain vertically (with the figure running horizontally), light doesn't catch the figure very well, and it just doesn't do its thing. There is no wow factor. If I run the grain horizontally, thus making the figure vertical, the figure does what it was meant to do. With this being the element (in my opinion) that makes or breaks the project, I have given it a considerable amount of thought.

I can't seem to dedicate to one or the other. Will a door panel look strange with the grain running horizontally? I know on a non-figured board there would not even be a question. It would be simply unacceptable. Does the figure make an exception? I really want this figure to do something.

So what do you guys think? Will it look ok to run the grain horizontally, with the figure vertical? Or should I deal with the less than appealing figure and run the grain vertically?

I attached a sketchup so you could visualize where it is headed. Also, there's a picture for you non sketchup users lol.

Thanks guys!

nightstand.skp

post-1258-0-34537200-1298513895_thumb.jp

Are these nightstands for you?

If they are, you will be the one looking at them and do what looks best to you. The "rules" aren't really rules, they are guidelines. I would not have a problem with running them horizontally if that is what made them look their very best!

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! I'm not even sure if I know any 'rules' and if I did I'd be hell bent on breaking em

I agree with the guys that as long as you don't break any wood movement rules, you can do whatever looks best to your eye. That said, are you absolutely sure of what these panels will look like in their final position with finish on them? In the shop, the lighting and viewing angles are very different from inside the house. Consequently the way light plays with the grain will be different too. So I would be hesitant to run the grain for this reason alone, unless you are 100% positive about it.

Actually, I knew that lighting would be an issue. So I got the actual board and took it into the house and sat it exactly where it is going to be with some mineral spirits rubbed on it. That's where I figured out you could see the figure better. So you guys don't think it will look strange? That is my biggest concern.

Thanks for your replies fellas. I truly appreciate the feedback.