router bits

t-bone

This is always a tough one. A little over 5 years ago I bought one of those 50 bit kits you see on Ebay. While these are not the best bits in town, I quickly discovered which bits I use frequently and which bits get little use. As the bits you use frequently dull and wear out I replace them with better bits.

However if you want a recommendation of good bits to start out with, I would recommend straight and/or spiral bits. These by far get the most usage in my arsenal.

To T-bone...first, let's clarify the difference between a kit and a set. The kits I believe others are referring to are the large packages of "every bit imaginable". Stay away from those. Sets are a group of bits paired up (such as raised panel or inlay) to produce a quality project. Sets are great (I prefer the Sommerfeld matched length shank sets for consistent heights in a router table) or purchase your bits on a project by project basis. I have had zero problems with Rockler, Freud or Sommerfeld. If you're looking for basics, I agree with MikeM above. Get a nice straight cut bit, a round-over or two and a chamfer bit. You can always add profiles to your selection too, but it seems the most common is a classic or Roman ogee.

Happy routering!

In terns of quality, I find that the brands like the Rockler are probably not up to the quality standards of a Amana or Whiteside, but for the use that I put to them (casual woodworking, 2-3 major projects a year), they are fine. I also have used MLCS Katina brand. and CMT. What I would avoid is the el cheepo stuff you might find on eBay -- but then again, if you are making one project and few cuts, that may work as well -- or a non fine woodworking project where quality it not highly critical. I could image in a production environment your needs might be be much different.

hello evvvvvvry booooody, well iam thinking about buying router bits, i have some knowledge but what should i start out with and whats a good brand. i don't have alot of cash thanks guys and gals

1st stay away from sets. You wont use half the bits in the set.

I like woodline, great bits , great prices and resharpenable to

My first set was a 15 pc MLCS set...it was pretty good quality, had most of the commonly used profiles, and it cost $40 shipped which made them good value. I got 3-4 decent years from them. I don't advocate buying a large set of low quality bits that are inexpensive per bit, but overall costs quite a lot out of pocket....you still get mediocre bits with many duplicates or near duplicates, and you're still out a fair amount of money. Nothing wrong with decent quality smaller sets of 6-20 bits that contain one each of the most common profiles. The bits I lean toward now are higher quality...Whiteside, Infinity, Freud, Eagle America, Katana (MLCS' better line), Price Cutter, CMT, Amana. I'd avoid Skil, Ryobi, Hickory, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, and other no-name bits...too much risk with cutters spinning at 20K rpms.

1/4" straight

1/2" "

1/8" round over

1/2" "

Rabbeting bit set w/the multiple bearings for different depths

1/2" bearing guided trim bit

All 1/2" shanks if your router takes them, except for the 1/8" round over, you can get buy with 1/4" shank.

These are some basic bits that should see a lot of use over the years ahead. If I was just starting to make my collection again, I would start with the 1/8" round over and the bearing guided trim bit. These two see alot of use over the years. Of course now I couldn't get along with out any of my bits, well, a couple are only very job specific, but they all have their uses. Straight bits are very useful and versatile too. I guess that it would depend on what you are building and need for that particular project.

I buy what I need as I need them and try to buy decent bits. I have some Woodcraft, Rockler, Freud, Whiteside, Skil, PC, Oldham and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember right now. Out of all of those brands, only one has ever failed, and it was a PC branded bit. Every so often, Woodcraft has a $5 bit sale on their green Woodcraft brand bits, that are a good way to get a variety of bits on the cheap. Best bit I have is a Freud quadra cut round over. Best cut I have seen.

For what it's worth, Fine Woodworking (FWW) made a limited test of profile router bits and Whiteside's and Eagle's came on top. Whiteside is posting this article on its site at the following adress: http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ToolTestRouterBits.pdf

Also in October 2006, FWW made an article where it suggested 10 essential bits:

1/4 inch straight bit

1/2 inch straitght bit

3/8 inch spiral fluted straight bit

Rabbeting bit with 3 or 4 bearing sizes

Three wing slot cutter bit, 1/4 inch thick

1/2 inch dovetail bit

45 degrees chamfer bit

1/4 inch roundover bit

3/8 inch radius cove bit

1/2 inch flush trimming bit

If you want OK quality, that will be a hefty bill. Brett's idea of buying as the need arises makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for this post. I will Give Eagle America a try ... through our friend Marc's website to support this forum.

For what it's worth, Fine Woodworking (FWW) made a limited test of profile router bits and Whiteside's and Eagle's came on top. Whiteside is posting this article on its site at the following adress: http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ToolTestRouterBits.pdf

Also in October 2006, FWW made an article where it suggested 10 essential bits:

1/4 inch straight bit

1/2 inch straitght bit

3/8 inch spiral fluted straight bit

Rabbeting bit with 3 or 4 bearing sizes

Three wing slot cutter bit, 1/4 inch thick

1/2 inch dovetail bit

45 degrees chamfer bit

1/4 inch roundover bit

3/8 inch radius cove bit

1/2 inch flush trimming bit

If you want OK quality, that will be a hefty bill. Brett's idea of buying as the need arises makes a lot of sense.