Food safe finish

Cdlong

Given the current climate, we can't get tortillas so one item on my honey do list just got bumped up a ways, making a tortilla press. It was at the "meh, if you ever get to it" position on the list, now it's near the top since I think I have all the material I need. What I don't have is some food safe finish to coat it with.  I'm not going to go out to buy anything so I have to work with what I have.  That consists of various oil and water based polyurethane and some spar urethane.  I could probably put some mineral oil on it, or just leave it bare for now and use some wax paper or silicone baking mats temporarily until I can get something appropriate.   If the latter, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Woodenskye said:

2 pieces of parchment paper, a counter top, a plate and body weight makes a fine tortilla press. 

Pssst! It’s his way of getting out of the house for a few hours! 

A piece of wax paper or as Bryan suggested, parchment paper, on top and bottom of the dough.

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Mineral oil or nothing, for now. Maybe salad bowl finish later. I wouldn't use any film finish that might lift away from heat / moisture and flake off into the dough.

Will mineral oil cause problems with the finish later? https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/oil-based-topcoats/oil-based-wood-bowl-finish It says it's oil based so I'm guessing no, since they're both oils, but pretty new to finishing so all the conflicts and interactions are a mystery to me. I'm reading Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner so I'm getting there, but only on chapter 2 at this point. 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Pssst! It’s his way of getting out of the house for a few hours! 

A piece of wax paper or as Bryan suggested, parchment paper, on top and bottom of the dough.

Thanks Coop. Yeah, saving time is not the goal here.  In fact we made some the other night with a rolling pin, just looking for something unique to do. 

I agree. Go with mineral oil. It looks best before you use it for the first time. After washing the finish will dull. But so what. It will be a good tool that will last a very long time. And at any time you can freshen up the finish. Then wash it again...Because of washing think of it as a tool, not a display piece. Now you owe me a taco...