Mobile table saw base

petersb

Okay, I want to build a new mobile base for my contractors style table saw.

Currently I have one with one saw on it and a router table on the extension end. I have a 52" Biesemeyer fence so the whole unit is about 7' long. I have my first table saw, a Rockwell contractors stlye saw, that is basically identical to the one I use currently, except for the paint scheme and label. I want to join the two saws and a router table on the end, just as I have now. The dimensions will come out right, but with the weight of two saws spanning the approx. 7', I am scratching my head as to a final construction of the base for it.

I have a couple of ideas, but I am wondering if there may be another, better, idea out there that I have not thought of or seen yet.

So my question to all of you is, how have you done it, or how would you do it, if you were trying to accomplish what I have described?

Any and all thoughts will be entertained. I have a "plan" in my head now but I really need some other thoughts to compare my ideas with to be sure that I am thinking right on this. I whipped out my first one and now I want to make this one to be teh "Grand Daddy" of them all and really build this thing stout, with wood of course. Storage under the saws is not of importance to me and the sturdy construction will be the first priority. I don't want this thing to sag.

Thanks to all of you and I can't wait to hear your ideas!

Rockler sells a kit that is only the wheels and corners pieces. Made to work with 1.5 square material. If you get some square metal box tubing, say 3/16 or so, cut to length, bolt/weld it. Should be able to make the whole thing for about 75-100 bucks.

post-2771-0-10948200-1298904404_thumb.jppost-2771-0-61187200-1298904418_thumb.jppost-2771-0-02104000-1298904428_thumb.jp

I'm not sure I completely understand the 2 saws on one base thing. But here's what I did about 6 years ago. It worked well for the most part.

Two things I liked about it:

Lots of drawers

The kick-stands in the back kept it from sliding. Even though the wheels locked she'd move when you'd push heavy stuff through her. But the kick-stands solved that problem. (See pictures)

Two things I'd do differently:

One thing for sure, make sure you pin your cords up. Mine were forever getting tangled. Until I rerouted them added a powerstrip and solved the issue about 6 months later.

I let my router hang off the left side (see picture). It worked fine and I could dust collect from the fence. I always intended on adding below table DC. Never did.

I ended up selling the entire unit as shown for 500 bucks on Craigslist when I bought my new Cabinet style table saw. Although this system served me well for a couple years.

Good luck, I hope I helped.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do ... put two saws on one base? Is that it? Anyway, this may give you some ideas:

http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Unisaw/UnisawMobileBase/MobileBaseDesignGuide.pdf

-- Russ

Yes, I am going to put two saws(contractor sytyle) on one base with a router table on the end. So if you are standing at the saw like you are going to operate it, from left to right, it would be a steel wing, saw top, steel wing, 2nd saw top and then an extension wing made of wood with the router hanging in it. All using the same shared fence. Like Chets picture above but with a saw also in the middle.

Thanks for the link, I like the idea of using some angle iron to help make it more rigid.

Two saws, one base? That is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. I have always wanted to dado and cut at the same time without messing stuff up, although having two fences would make it that much sweeter. Also are you going to add another scale to your fence so you can have a good way to measure from both blades?

I have seen some reall cool mobile bases lately: check out the one in this guys video:

http://www.youtube.com/askwoodman#p/u/5/XlydTM143a4

The cool thing is all the storage, but you could easily add another saw on there. That guy is responsive if you ask questions so he might have some ideas too.

Good luck and please post pictures when you're done!

post-2771-0-10948200-1298904404_thumb.jppost-2771-0-61187200-1298904418_thumb.jppost-2771-0-02104000-1298904428_thumb.jp

I'm not sure I completely understand the 2 saws on one base thing. But here's what I did about 6 years ago. It worked well for the most part.

Yes, two saws on one base. Like you had, just add another saw to the right of your saw pictured, on the same base. I have basically what you have in your picutures, except without the cabinet on the right side. It has been like this for about 9-10 year and it has sagged over time. I want to do something similar but I need it very rigid to carry the weight of two saw over the 7' span. Just say no to sag! I just need a base for the saws to sit on and a cabinet on the end to house the router table and some accessories. I want to do like Will stated, to have a dado set up in one and a blade in the other so I can have two different operations ready to go. I would use the same fence for both saws.

post-351-0-86446200-1298919929_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-32240700-1298919941_thumb.jpg

Two saws, one base? That is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. I have always wanted to dado and cut at the same time without messing stuff up, although having two fences would make it that much sweeter. Also are you going to add another scale to your fence so you can have a good way to measure from both blades?

I have seen some reall cool mobile bases lately: check out the one in this guys video:

http://www.youtube.com/askwoodman#p/u/5/XlydTM143a4

The cool thing is all the storage, but you could easily add another saw on there. That guy is responsive if you ask questions so he might have some ideas too.

Good luck and please post pictures when you're done!

Will, that is exactly what I had in mind, to have a dado or crosscut set up on one saw and ripping on the other. I didn't really think about adding another scale for the fence but that would be easy to do. I will post pictures when I get that far. Right now I am in the middle of four other projects and I really should get those finished before I start another! :blink: I just came up with the thought in my head and kind of went with it and now I guess I am getting the construction of it down for the futrue when I actually start to build it.

Alright, I have decided what route I am going to take on a new base. I can't find the link right now but, the mobile base is a torsion box and then the other cabinets are attached on top of that. I wouldn't consider the cabinets a true torsion box design but they should be pretty solid to help resist sag along with the torsion box underneath. I am thinking about making the bases that sit under the two saws as two different units just in the event that having two saws on the same base doesn't work out as hoped and I have to remove it later. On the other hand, just having one solid unit between the two would make it more rigid than the two individual units. I actually started on the pieces for the torsion box lastnight. I didn't plan on starting it so soon but sometimes the bug just hits and you have to go with it. Hopefully I won't be sidetracked with this project too long, I have other projects that should be done first. More to come? Maybe. ;)

Update on the base.

I have the first coat of paint on it today. I should put one more coat on and then I will clean up the old saw top and transfer the casters from the old base to this one. Then I should be able to mount the saws on the new one and then I can plan the router table and the cabinet on the end. I decided to add some better dust collection to the new setup, so I am thinking about that one.

You can see that I changed the design on the base that the saws actually sit on. I was running out of material and I didn't really want a full cabinet on the bottoms. This way will leave me with some easy access to the dust collection that will be routed out of the bottom and to the back... or maybe the front for easy access. Still something to think about.

Thanks for checking it out.

post-351-0-86490600-1299555878_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-79745900-1299555889_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-33193600-1299555901_thumb.jpg

I'll say! The cleanup of that rusty saw must have taken quite a bit of elbow grease! Never mind the excellent base, that is worth the effort.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Seems like a great idea.

I hope that it turns out well. The base is like a rock. Lastnight, after getting the back angle iron installed, I had a light bulb go off in my head. I didn't think about this until then but, in order for the fence to be in adjustment for both saws, all of the miter slots have to be parallel! DOH! I already drilled the holes in the angle and the second saw top. I will have to check and see how far out of parellel they are. Live and learn I guess. :P

I forgot to add that cleaning the saw top wasn't as tough as I thought that it was going to be. I used a ROS with 100 grit and dry sanded the rust off. Then I used Rust free and used a green scotchbrite pad. Wiped it down with Boeshield and waxed the top.

If it is too much of a hassle to get the miter slots parellel, the 2nd saw may end up being dedicated to crosscuts only with a sled. I wish that I had thought of that sooner.

I forgot to add that cleaning the saw top wasn't as tough as I thought that it was going to be. I used a ROS with 100 grit and dry sanded the rust off. Then I used Rust free and used a green scotchbrite pad. Wiped it down with Boeshield and waxed the top.

If it is too much of a hassle to get the miter slots parellel, the 2nd saw may end up being dedicated to crosscuts only with a sled. I wish that I had thought of that sooner.

I bet you could shim the front fence rail to get it perpendicular to the miter slots, or at least consistent on both saws. Then the fence should be consistent since it references off the front rail.