Hardwood floor badly stained - advice appreciated

All, 

With Covid-19 zeal, I was cleaning the front of my Thermidor stove and noticed a few grease spots under the oven door. They were not quite visible but since I was on a mission, I thought why not get rid of them. So I looked up on Google and someone suggested baking powder with water for an hour as a remedy. I tried that and ended up with a bigger mess than I started with. I am not sure why the grease spots morphed into much bigger splotches. (My faith in baking soda as a harmless cleaner has been shaken for sure :-))

You can see in the attached pictures that I have blackish stains as well as "bleach like" spots. Any advice on how I can get my old floor back? I read Oxalic acid can lift stains but I am being cautious and would like expert opinion first. 

I will happily live with a few grease spots under the stove that are not visible but this discoloration has to be fixed. Thank you. 

Anu    

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

Baking soda has a PH level that reacts with the tannic acid it wood, causing it to color-shift. On finished flooring, just using it to scrub a spot shouldn't hurt, but letting it sit for an hour probably allowed the solution to penetrate the finish and cause the reaction. The only way I know of to remove that is sand or scrape the wood to a clean surface, and refinish.

Before taking that leap, I would try a little Murphy's Oil soap and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, in case it is just a surface stain from the grease.

Hey there - I had read this post just the other night, and while just randomly perusing the internet earlier today, I found a product that made me think of your problem. I'm certainly no kind of expert in the field, but if I were you and didn't know what else to do, I'd do THIS!  (I'm in no way affiliated with this product or it's company, I'm just somebody who read your post and happened across this..thought I'd share.) save an additional 20% with coupon code KRAFTY20

(link removed)

good luck! Let me know if you try it!

EDIT - Just search for wood restoration beewax on Amazon, and it's a fraction of the price!!! Hope I'm not too late! To be clear the stuff I'm talking about is in a squatty wide mouth jar looking thing with a black label that reads "100% natural beewax". I've just ordered some (at $8.99) because I have a coffee table with a similar issue. Either way, I will check back in here after trying it out. 

Edited by Fagyver
I suggested a product that I just found priced at 50% lower than the link in my original post.

• 1 month later...

There is no solution. When I asked the older gent who refinished my parquet flooring (started his own business 35 years ago), he said there was no fix. You simply can't sand it out because it gets too deep and you sacrifice the flooring stability (meaning it'll split if you get too thin). But try more peroxide, soak the area, put a soaked rag on top and then plastic wrap on top of that and tape it all down to form a seal for over-night. Not like you're going to make things any worse.