so, you can cut down trees

Tom King

I watched a lot of Hotsaws101 on youtube the guy knows saws and he cuts down a few trees in some interesting ways. Most of his stuff is loging related so he is just dropping moster redwoods with the only risk being his own health.

This was a good vid, good share Tom

I think that saw is older than 25 years old.  I wonder how many times he's been in the bottom end of it.  You can keep rebuilding those pro saws. 

I have an 036, that was new in 1999, that I'm getting ready to split the case on, for the first time.  It'll be the first time for the bottom end.  I have no doubt that his 064 has been used a lot more than any of my saws.

I"m not sure honestly. I know he does porting and rebuild work for people. I can't imagine that he'd take someone else's saw out to do paid work but maybe that's in his agreement under testing. It seems like every video he's using a different saw so either he has a container full of saws (which he probably does) or he runs some of his porting jobs under "testing".

I need to learn more on maintaining pro saws as i own one and using it for milling is not exactly an easy use case.

Tom you asked me a while ago if I use the compression release on my 661. Yes i do nearly every time I start the saw for one main reason. When the saw is mounted in the Alaskan mill and is on the log ready to go, it's difficult to hold it still enough to start without the release.

They're easy to work on, for replacing any part, but you do need some specialized tools for pulling the flywheel, and splitting the case.  The case only needs to be split if you need to replace the crank bearings, or crank.  The cylinder, and piston can be replaced with a T27 wrench, and 8mm nut driver.  That 660 can do a Lot of work, so it should take a decade of use before you need to go into it.

Don't buy the expensive seal puller.  Best tool for that is a tool truck (Mac, Snapon, etc.) cotter pin puller.   The crank seals will be the first things that need to be replaced, but they should last years, even with heavy use.  If it ever gets so it won't idle nicely, make sure the seals are good (pressure test the crankcase), or the piston can get scored from it running too lean.  You need to pull the flywheel, and clutch, to replace the crank seals, but it's an easy job.

There are good youtube videos on anything you need to do to one.

• Thanks 1