Poly smell- need help!!

Hail

I mistakenly used polyurethane thinking it was polycrylic and I need the smell/ this headache to go away. I applied a thin coat on 3/4” raw mdf used as a tabletop and let it dry a few hours before I had to throw it outside so I could sleep last night. I live in a loft in Brooklyn, Ny and my room doesn’t have a window so ventilation is pretty tricky. It is 35 degrees outside and I don’t have anywhere else to put it. Is there a way I can remove the polyurethane? Any advice would be super appreciated!

There isn't much that will remove it that won't smell worse than the Poly it's self. Ventilate the room is the best advice I have. An activated charcoal air filter may work on some but i can't think of a product that offers that off the top of my head. Ctristrip may remove it but again it's going to come with a heavy odor and it probably won't remove the poly odor it'll just mask it or add to it.

Even Polycrylic will have some odor, another option that you may be able to find some what easily is Rubio Monocoat. Another option is Osmo Polyx. This place is located in broklyn, and they may have some advice for you as well https://toolsforworkingwood.com/

Just now, Coop said:

Nut, I was thinking shellac over it but I guess not, huh? 

The VOCs in the poly need to off gas and they still will to some extent but what is most likely to happen there is the poly won't adhere well nor will the shellac. Shellac does have it's own odor. While some may hate it others may not find it that offensive. Technically the solvent is a Harmful VOC not much different than mineral spirits.

• Like 1

Related thought.  A few hours after a finishing sesssion with ARS I returned from waking the dog and smelled gas in the kitchen.  Had it checked  and no gas leak.   We finally figures out that the flames form the gas stove reacts with ARS fumes and it smells very similar to a natural gas leak.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1