My Table, Your Table

From the old forum, Nathan created the thread. Thought I would carry it over here.

Per Nathan ...

"I figured since this was a forum topic for the shaker table build, why not have a thread showing off your work? It also serves as a personal benefit for me as I'm trying to decide what finish to apply on my table. So show us the tables!

Be sure to include:

species, finish applied and any other special notes"

Here's my table. Ash base with walnut top. Finish is wipe on poly, but only a couple of coats as I wanted to keep it simple and natural looking.

Shaker%20Table%20-%20Finished%20001.jpgShaker%20Table%20-%20Finished%20002.jpgShaker%20Table%20-%20Finished%20003.jpg

That's really an odd place to keep a Shaker Table! ;)

Nathan did an awesome job on that one. Love the colors!

LOL, early in experience of photographing projects. Had somewhere to be and was close to the deadline to submit to you.

As an amusing contradiction, it now serves as a place to put my laptop when working in my recliner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to getting my Shaker DVD set. ( picked it up in the latest sale ) You all did such a great job on your tables . I do like some of the twists on the style you did to make it your own . Please keep the pictures coming , I hope to add some once I finish mine .

Regards

Jerry

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife wanted a small side table to place her beverage and liked the look of my original. I made this one out of English Elm which is getting very hard to get hold of (due in no small part to Dutch Elm Disease). I was at Westonbirt Arboretum in Gloucestershire, England last year and picked up a few remaining boards. They occasionally harvest trees to make room for more and had chopped down a disease resistant specimen. Don't worry there are plenty more disease resistant ones left. They said this will be the last time for the next 30 years that they would be harvesting Elm so I snapped up the last 6 boards. Over the next few months they were drying out in my shop. In March this year (2014) they were dry enough to use.

The table itself is about 2/3 the size of the original. I scaled down the original Guild Sketchup drawing using Sketchup's own built in scaling tool. The legs are 22mm (7/8") thick at the top tapering to around 12mm (1/2") at the bottom. I thought that was about the minimum I could go to retain some integrity in strength. The table is approx 19" tall and 13" square.

The top incorporates knots and they are stabilised using epoxy. The drawer fits in my wife's iPad Mini and some other things that she uses (pens, nail file etc) when relaxing. I turned a knob from an offcut of Elm and it is around 5/8" diameter.

I finished it with GF Arm-R-Seal. I can no longer buy this in the UK due to VOC export restrictions so any future wipe ons will have to be homebrew version using Marc's formulation. For now I have a couple of quart cans left.

For scale I also show the table next to its bigger brother (made from French oak).

post-3084-0-84265600-1397549141_thumb.jppost-3084-0-68437600-1397549147_thumb.jp

If you want to make one of these tables it only takes a couple of weekends and is very simple (and cheap) to execute. Total cost to me was around £15 ($25)  as I only used a miniscule amount of Elm and a small quantity of finish.

Nice job, Terry! I found it a fun build because it's so easy and nearly stress-free. Just curious, why no bevel under the top?

Sucks about the Arm-R-Seal. They'll have to pry my Arm-R-Seal from my cold, dead hands!

Thanks guys. It does have a bevel it just doesn't show up in the shots due to the higher angle I took it from. I also put veneers of elm over the end grain - I'm doing that a lot nowadays after a cabinet maker buddy of mine pulled me up on showing end grain on some of my earlier pieces. Here is a picture from a lower angle.

post-3084-0-66850800-1397569049_thumb.jp

I forgot to say the top is around 5/8" thick tapering down to 7/16" at the edges over 1-1/4" distance

Edited by TerryMcK