Dust collection piping question

Nvman

I am upgrading my dust collection piping to 6”. Since it is just me, only one machine at a time will be running. From the 6” branch line, I will be putting drops to various machines, terminating in a 4” flexible hose. The question is, do I continue the 6” down to the 4” flexible hose or do I reduce down to 4” at the top of the drop, right off the 6” branch?  I would first use 4“ piping on the drop until the 4” flexible hose. Or should I first reduce to 5” at the start of the drop terminating with the 4” flexible hose? I have a 32 year old 2 hp dc with 12.75” impeller.

Thank you.

The larger the pipe the lower the velocity of the air, go too far with that and particles will start to fall out of the airstream. Why are you going with the six inch? If its like mine with a large impeller inlet with a y fitting directly on it you probably wont be improving airflow that much. As long as the terminal ends are 4” everywhere I would see little point to it if you only use one port at a time.

A better improvement is to be sure the elbows in the pipe are large radius to reduce turbulence. If you are using pvc I know they come in two different radius sizes, the more common tight bends are not the best choice.

• Like 1

I'd take 6" as far as you can go. Number of bends and number of branches has a large impact on collection efficiency. Shoot for 1 main truck and as few of branches as possible. Keep bends to a minimum, if you can't get large radius bends do 2 45s back to back. 2 long radius 45s back to back is probably the best bet.

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd take 6" as far as you can go. Number of bends and number of branches has a large impact on collection efficiency. Shoot for 1 main truck and as few of branches as possible. Keep bends to a minimum, if you can't get large radius bends do 2 45s back to back. 2 long radius 45s back to back is probably the best bet.

Thank you..