Building New Assembly Table

Ran

Hi Folks,

I mentioned this in my introduction in the New Members section, but thought I'd start a post here. We are soon moving our residence and I'll be setting up a new shop :) . One of the things I intend to do is build a new rolling assembly table. Probably about 3' X 6' and the same height as my Grizzly tablesaw. I like a lot of the torsion box tables I've seen, but I'm afraid that I'd miss having a relatively narrow clamp edge. Seems I'm always clamping face frames and all sorts of other things to the table top. I realize that I can insert a Kreg Klamp rail or something similar, but I'd rather not. I like the versatility of being able to clamp all around the table top. I've been using a dead flat table top laying across a couple of saw horses for many years and, quite frankly, its worked pretty well. I also use my tablesaw's outfeed table on occasion. But I think its time to upgrade ;)

Well, I guess I could have ended the OP with, "Any suggestions?" But I made the mistake of assuming most folks would understand that one would likely not post anything if they weren't looking for a reply or two.

Anyways, now that I someone's attention....I'm curious why I seem to be in the minority as it relates to wanting a clamp edge on whatever assembly table I would build. My father-in-law, a retired professional furniture maker, agrees with me. Yet I see so many tables without a convenient clamp edge. I suppose it has a little bit to do with what types of woodworking folks do?

Randy

I'm curious why I seem to be in the minority as it relates to wanting a clamp edge on whatever assembly table I would build.

I think people make traditional workbenches with real thick tops so they'll be heavy and have lots of inertia. The weight keeps the bench from walking across the floor when you're planing a board, and the inertia gives nice solid support for when you're pounding away with a chisel.

Torsion boxes are supposed to be lightweight by comparison, but you have to make them thick anyway so they'll be stiff and stay flat.

I happen to be in the same corner as you; I like a thin overhang for clamping. Both my workbench and my assembly/router/outfeed table have thin tops with about 4" sticking over the edge for clamping. I made them flat using the technique shown here.

My workbench is plenty heavy because the base is full of drawers and the drawers are full of junk. However, sometimes I think that if I was a dyed-in-the-wool hand tool guy, I might want a more beefy, less springy top on it. But I don't really do that much pounding, so it works for me as is.

-- Russ

I'm with Toothdoc, I built the torsion box table that Marc has a video on and I posted some photos of it here. I clamp to my top all the time, every day in fact. The only reason I can see as to why you wouldn't is because your clamps are no bigger than 3" or 4". My top overhangs my base all around by 6" and I can use any quick clamp, Bessey or C or F style clamp they have. If you don't mind sharing more information it might help me to understand why you can't clamp to a thicker top.

Other than that you can build a torsion box top then screw a piece of MDF to it with a piece of hardboard as a sacrificial top piece which would then give you a 1" top for clamping, you can overhang the torsion box as much as you usually need for clamping, and the box gives you a solid and permanent base you never need to replace. I think Norm has a plan for one you can build in a weekend and it's very functional. I used it for about 5 years until I built my new one.

Dave

Thanks gents. Russ...neat idea on the adjustable table. I like that. I do a fair amount of pocket hole joinery, and its nice to have a thinner clamp edge for the 'Kreg' type (vice grip style) clamps. Just finished assembly of a pretty simple King size bed headboard and the thinner edge is nice for that type of work (IMO).

I'm thinking that I can build a torsion box and then allow for a 2"~ overhang, or something like that. Don't get me wrong....for probably 80% of my work I don't need a thin clamp edge. Its just nice for some types of joinery (IMO).

I intend to build at least 2 banks of drawers underneath and other storage, so I think it'll be plenty heavy. My new shop won't be huge (about 15' X 30') so I want it on lockable casters too.

Thanks again, guys..