Advice on Used Clearvue Cyclones CV1800 (Advice Request)

Ricky S.

I have the chance to purchase a used CV1800. It has been used in a knife grinding setup with 6 grinding stations. The owner indicated that it was used for wood and some composites, along with being used for the buffers. Also, he does not have the stack WYNN filters, which I would want. I also have the opportunity to buy the Nordfab ducting for it.

I will be using it in my one-car garage woodshop.

I would love some advice on the following (pictures attached)

• Should I worry that composites and metal dust went through it? Does it affect the impeller or motor differently?
  • From the picture of the cyclone, would it be easy to clean and get it back to a clean or “clear” look?
  • He will separate the ducting and the collector, but should I get the ducting even if it’s not set up for my space?
  • Would this be a better buy USED than a less powerful NEW system? It is my first DC system and I love the CV1800. Is it too risky to buy this one used?

Thank you in advance and any advice on any of these points will be greatly appreciated!
Ricky

fetch?id=14583

fetch?id=14584

I'd say go for it. I believe the CV1800 is set up so that any dust shouldn't get into bearings which would be the biggest concern. The impeller may have had some minor "sand blasting" from the particles but i doubt that is going to negatively impact it. Should be able to buy the filters form Clear vue.

You could clean the cyclone but it will soon get dirty with wood dust. Frank Howarth's collector, i believe he had only been ruining it a short time when he posted this video.

CV1800-.thumb.jpg.6e98a9be76ab05bc77624f9c89f4401f.jpg

You could also just not clean it and let the sawdust do that for you. Maybe clean the outside.

For the ducting, it's hard to say. It depend  on how much he is asking for the ducting. It could go a long way in getting you started if the price is right.

If the price is right (for me it would be 25% off or more from msrp) I would definitely get the nordfab ducting as well.  That has been on my alerts for craigslist for years and except for 1 listing which only had a handful of items, I've never seen one on craigslist.  As for the dc, it should be fine.  As mentioned the dust / debris is not supposed to pass through the impeller itself.  Personally I would want a decent discount from the msrp for this one however.  Good luck

I would suggest checking the wear on the inside of the cyclone to be sure the grinding residue hasn't worn the cyclone excessively. Bearings in a motor are easy to change, so done let that be an issue. Make sure the motor is single phase, assuming you have normal house wiring.

If you think you can make use of the ductwork and get a good price, go for it. You can always sell the leftovers on eBay.

Nice find!

7 hours ago, Robby W said:

I would suggest checking the wear on the inside of the cyclone to be sure the grinding residue hasn't worn the cyclone excessively. Bearings in a motor are easy to change, so done let that be an issue. Make sure the motor is single phase, assuming you have normal house wiring.

If you think you can make use of the ductwork and get a good price, go for it. You can always sell the leftovers on eBay.

Nice find!

Thanks Robby!

Will it be easy to spot wear on the inside? I think it might be because it is a hard plastic.

Ricky

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I doubt the cyclone will ever be 'clear' again, give the abrasiveness of the material it has been passing. Still, if the price suits you, that seems like a hard deal to pass.

Thanks so much for the reply! I don't really care about the looks, as long as the function won't be affected! I'm trying not to overspend early in building up my shop, but this is almost like a jewel!

Ricky

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jussi said:

If the price is right (for me it would be 25% off or more from msrp) I would definitely get the nordfab ducting as well.  That has been on my alerts for craigslist for years and except for 1 listing which only had a handful of items, I've never seen one on craigslist.  As for the dc, it should be fine.  As mentioned the dust / debris is not supposed to pass through the impeller itself.  Personally I would want a decent discount from the msrp for this one however.  Good luck

Thanks for the response Jussi! Yeah, the Nordfab pieces are definitely something of a surprise on this package. I don't know if my budget can handle it, even if I know what a deal it is. I'm trying not to spend too much on the startup and setup of my shop, but this is definitely an enticing deal.

As for the collector, it looks like it will be a good deal either way, but I want to make sure it has everything with it. I will be having to buy new filters, which will be about $600 on top of whatever I pay for the unit. I'm going to try to get it. If it had the filters, I would get it no question.

Thanks for the advice!

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd say go for it. I believe the CV1800 is set up so that any dust shouldn't get into bearings which would be the biggest concern. The impeller may have had some minor "sand blasting" from the particles but i doubt that is going to negatively impact it. Should be able to buy the filters form Clear vue.

You could clean the cyclone but it will soon get dirty with wood dust. Frank Howarth's collector, i believe he had only been ruining it a short time when he posted this video.

CV1800-.thumb.jpg.6e98a9be76ab05bc77624f9c89f4401f.jpg

You could also just not clean it and let the sawdust do that for you. Maybe clean the outside.

For the ducting, it's hard to say. It depend  on how much he is asking for the ducting. It could go a long way in getting you started if the price is right.

I appreciate it. I will at the very least clean off the outside, but I'm going to try to use the condition as a negotiating point. Also, it's part of an estate sale, so I don't know how much they will move.

The ducting is definitely a "maybe" for me. I know it's high quality and a deal, but I don't know if I want to lock myself in and I don't know if I have the budget for it now.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. The drive is 2 hours one way, so I'm just trying to make sure it is worth it.

Thanks!